Papers of the Bagot family of Blithfield, Staffordshire, 1428-1671 (bulk 1557-1671) L.a.1-1076
For related articles, consult Manuscripts (disambiguation).
The Bagot Family Papers collection contains letters and documents concerned with the Bagot family of Blithfield, Staffordshire, with the majority of the documents centered around Richard Bagot (1530-1597) and his son Walter Bagot (1557?-1623). The collection is primarily autograph letters signed, dating from 1557-1671. There are letters to them, letters from them (some of them drafts written on blank parts of letters addressed to them) and copies made by them of letters addressed to others, especially of official letters. The letters cover a wide range of topics and amply illustrate the life of a prosperous county family and the multifarious duties it members were called upon to perform for the Crown. Also included are documents, dating from 1428-1662, concerning recusants, a form of the oath of supremacy (L.a.1044), a few deeds, specifications for two buildings (L.a.1070) and other papers. For a brief collection-level description, see the Hamnet record. For a detailed description and full contents list, see its online Finding Aid.
Items from the collection are being transcribed as part of Early Modern Manuscripts Online (EMMO) at the Folger. Selected items are also transcribed in Folgerpedia or as PDF files, and are listed here:
- L.a.63: Letter from Lewis Bagot to Walter Bagot, 1604 November 10
- L.a.64: Letter from Lewis Bagot to Walter Bagot, 1604 November 20
- L.a.36-L.a.46, L.a.473: A semi-diplomatic edition of the letters of Anthony Bagot at the Folger Shakespeare Library, edited by Kristen Deiter, Rebecca Fall, Meghan Davis Mercer, Miranda Nesler, Elizabeth Rodriguez, Susan Stafinbil, J. Case Tompkins (Folger Shakespeare Library, 2012).
- L.a.156: Letter from Walter Bagot to an unnamed knight, ca. 1620
- L.a.161: Letter from Walter Bagot to an unnamed worthy knight ca. 1620
- L.a.176: Letter from William Bagot to his father Walter Bagot, 1619 November 7
- L.a.182: Letter from William Bagot to Walter Bagot, 1622/3 February 27
- L.a.1067: List of Jurors in the Case of Thomas Whiston, Defendant, v. Thomas Smyth, Plaintiff
- More coming soon!