MARC 773 Host Item Entry
MARC field 773 in the Bibliographic format contains information concerning the host item for the constituent unit described in the record (vertical relationship), for example, the host volume for a journal article when the article is cataloged separately. It is used in the child record to give information about the host volume, and may have reciprocal 774 fields in the parent record.
It is intended to allow users to find the physical volume that contains the component described in the record, although the Folger has occasionally used MARC fields 773/774 to link a collection record with the records for individual items that are not physically contained within the collection.
This field is repeatable.
- [indicate whether the field is searchable in Hamnet drop-downs, or only in the staff module and Command Line search]
1st indicator – Note controller
0 - Display note 1 - Do not display note
2nd indicator – Display constant controller
# - In 8 - No display constant generated
ǂa - Main entry heading ǂd - Place, publisher, and date of publication ǂg - Related parts ǂh - Physical description ǂi - Relationship information ǂn - Note ǂo - Other item identifier ǂt - Title ǂw - Record control number
Policy and formulation
- Routinely add 773 fields to child records
- As of December 5, 2017, Hamnet is set so that links to "Related records" are automatically generated when any of the following is true:
- the 773$t in the child record matches the 245$a of the parent record
- the 773$o in the child record matches the Bib ID of the parent record
- the 774$o in the parent record exactly matches the 773$t of the child record (remember to code the first indicator so that the note does not display)
- each 774$o of the parent record contains the Voyager bib ID of a child record (remember to code the first indicator so that the note does not display)