List of Folger Institute resources
This article lists various resources useful to Folger Institute faculty and other scholars. For more information on site-specific Folger Shakespeare Library resources, please consult Digital resources at the Folger.
Digital reference tools
Multi-country Historical Calendar: allows for easy conversion between the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
Ian's English Calendar: Quick reference guide for calculating dates in early modern England.
Latin Place Names File: compiled by the Rare Books and Manuscripts division of the ALA, provides Latin place names found in the imprints of books printed before 1801 and their vernacular equivalents.
Currency Converter : a legacy tool by the National Archives (UK), converts old prices to 2005 values.
Medieval and Early Modern Data Bank: includes five sets of data on European currency exchange and commodities prices from the 13th to the 18th centuries (focusing on the Rhineland, the Low Countries, and Venice)
Measuring Worth: 1774 to the Present
Weights and Measures
An Introduction to Weights and Measures: (University of Nottingham) provides equivalencies for historic weights (Avoirdupois weight, Troy weight, Apothecaries' weight), as well as measurements and volumes.
Sarah Wigges' Weights and Measures: Apothecary symbols recorded in a 1616 receipt book
- American Antiquarian Society
- Bibliothèque Nationale
- The Bodleian Library
- The British Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Herzog August Bibliothek
- The Huntington Library
- The Library of Congress
- Münchener DigitalisierungsZentrum Digitale Bibliothek
- The National Archives
- The National Sporting Library
- The Newberry Library--for more information on the Folger's relationship with The Newberry Library, see Folger Institute and Newberry Library reciprocity agreement.
- Folger Institute Commons listserv
- Ficino--An interdisciplinary Renaissance listserv.
- H-Albion--The H-Net discussion network for British and Irish history.
- Shaksper--The global electronic Shakespeare conference.
- SHARP-L--The electronic conference for the history of print culture.
Research centers and societies
- Arizona Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Center for British and Irish Studies at the University of Colorado, Boulder
- Centre for Early Modern Studies at the University of Aberdeen
- Center for Medieval Studies at the University of Minnesota
- Center for Renaissance and Baroque Studies at Maryland
- The Center for Renaissance Studies at the University of Massachusetts Amherst
- The Centre for Reformation and Renaissance Studies at the University of Toronto
- Centre for Research in Early English Drama
- The Centre for the Study of the Renaissance at the University of Warwick
- City University of New York's Renaissance Studies Program
- Columbia University Interdepartmental Committee on Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Division for Late Medieval and Reformation Studies at the University of Arizona
- emwo (the early modern web at Oxford)
- The Group for Early Modern Studies at the University of Arizona
- HoBo: History of the Book @ Oxford
- Keogh-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies
- Making Publics: Media, Markets, and Association in Early Modern Europe, 1500-1700, at McGill University
- The Marco Institute for Medieval and Renaissance Studies at the University of Tennessee
- Medieval Studies Institute at Indiana University
- Medieval Institute at the University of Notre Dame
- Medieval Institute at Western Michigan University
- Newberry Center for Renaissance Studies
- Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture
- Research Institute of Irish and Scottish Studies at the University of Aberdeen
- St. Andrews Reformation Institute
- UCSB Early Modern Center
- USC-Huntington Early Modern Studies Institute
- American Historical Association
- American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
- American Society for Legal History
- Bibliographical Society of America
- Early Book Society
- John Donne Society
- The Malone Society
- North American Conference on British Studies
- Shakespeare Birthplace Trust
- The Renaissance Society of America
- Shakespeare Association of America
- Sixteenth Century Society & Conference
- Society for the History of Authorship, Reading, and Publishing
- Society for Reformation Studies
- Society for Renaissance Studies
- Society for the Study of Early Modern Women