Difference between revisions of "Voyager quick start guide"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
This article describes basic functions of Voyager for a person who is new to
This article describes basic functions of Voyager for a person who is new to but may have used other integrated library systems before.
== Searching in Voyager ==
== Searching in Voyager ==
Revision as of 13:50, 20 October 2017
This article describes basic functions of Voyager for a person who is new to it but may have used other integrated library systems before.
Searching in Voyager
- The Search button is located in the icon bar at the top of the screen as a magnifying glass over text (Alt+R+S)
- Four different search tabs are available: keyword, index selection, builder, and history
- To set a default tab, use the Default Tab button on the bottom left corner of the search screen. If the button is grayed out, the default is already selected for that tab.
- Double-clicking on the search result ends pulls up the bibliographic record.
- To view the holdings record, use the Get Hldgs button at the icon bar at the top of the screen (Alt+R+H)
- To view the item record, select Get Items (Alt+R+M)
- To view the bibliographic record again, select Get Bib (Ctrl+J)
To personalize and quickly ascertain different types of records in lists, you can change the color and font style of different record types.
- Go to Options, select Preferences, then Colors/fonts.
- Click the corresponding buttons to update preferences
- Go to Record/Import/From new file (Alt+R,P,N) [Note: if the file is already open, it will be (Alt+R, P, V)]
- Open original Hamnet record (if one exists) Recommended: split the Voyager screen between the two records (Alt+W+T)
- Copy the 583 field from the old record and paste it into the new in chronological order (older field comes first). Copy any 79X fields and any associated 852 $z
- Copy new 035 field (ex: ‡a (OCoLC) ocm04926471) and paste into old record to overlay it; save to DB and close (Crtl+Q) old record
- Highlight the 541, your 583, and the 852 and copy (Ctrl+C)
- Save to DB (Crtl+B), click continue button, look for statement that overlay was successful
- Open the holdings record (Alt+R+H) and paste (Ctrl+V) and then delete the old 852 except for those added by Acquisitions
- Save the holdings record (Ctrl+B)
- Open the item record (Alt+I+M) and review for item type accuracy
- Save and close the item record
- Check the record in Hamnet. Recommended: manual search by call number
Holdings and Item Records
- Select Get Holdings for copy 1 (Alt+R,H)
- Copy/paste the 852 field into holdings record, delete old 852 and any other fields present
- Enter field 866 for records covering multi-volume sets
- Go to Hamnet to review updated record