This article enumerates the various search terms available for use in the LUNA Bindings image collection. For more information please see Bindings image collection.
- Image caption: a brief description of the photo, including call number
- General description: a brief description of the binding
- Binder: a named binder or bindery (when known)
- Country/Style: a country of origin (or in some cases a geographically or nationally distinct style of binding)
- Period: a date for the binding (in some cases indicated as a "ca." date, an "early", "mid", or "late" century, or a full century)
- Call number: the designated shelf location for the bound volume
- Provenance: a brief description of former owners, typically derived from the Hamnet bibliographic record (when available)
- Author: an author's name for the first, second, or third item bound in (no more than the first three items in a Sammelband are described here)
- Title: a title for the first, second, or third item bound in
- Created/published: a place, publisher or creator name, and date for the first, second, or third item bound in
- Hamnet URL: a hyperlink to the full online bibliographic description (when available)
- Dimensions: binding size in millimeters (height by width by thickness)
- Covering material: a brief description of the material covering the boards and spine
- Sewing: a brief description of the sewing structure of the text block and binding
- Headbands: a brief description of the spine headbands and endbands
- Edge treatment: a brief description of gilding, gauffering, fore-edge painting, etc. that might appear on the edges of the text block
- End papers: a brief description of the paper, including identification of marbling techniques
- Closures: a brief description of the presence (or evidence of former) clasps, ties, ribbons, etc.
- Decorative description: a narrative description of significant details about the tooling, gilding, and other decorative elements present on the binding.
- Technical description: a narrative description of significant structural details. Typically present in entries based on the Fine and Historic Bookbindings catalog.
- Other details: may include biographical details, quotations from cited research, etc.
- Binding terms (RBMS): a controlled vocabulary heading from Binding Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloging
- Literature: brief reference to published descriptions or research into the binding (see bibliography for full citations)