Reading Room policy
This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
- All coats, briefcases, bags, newspapers, outerwear, and purses larger than 5 x 9 x 2 inches (12.5 x 23 x 5 cm) should be left in the cloakroom just past the gift shop on your right. Lockers are available for valuables.
- Cell phones must be turned off, or switched to vibrate. No calls should be answered in the Reading Room.
- Pencils only; no ink.
- No food or drink is allowed in the reading room or seminar rooms (this includes bottled water, cough drops, and chewing gum).
- Vault materials must remain within the sight of Reading Room staff.
- Material from the collection (including open stacks books) may not be removed from the library. The Folger reserves the right to inspect all bags and packages.
- When exiting the Reading Room for any reason, vault materials must be returned to the circulation desk, and readers must obtain an exit pass to present to the Registrar.
- The Folger has a Camera use policy, which allows readers to snap photos of the collections with their own digital cameras for personal or noncommercial use, provided that researchers include copyright notice where applicable, and the statement “Courtesy of the Folger Shakespeare Library.”
- If you have any questions, please ask a member of the Reading Room staff or email firstname.lastname@example.org.