MARC 751 Added Entry - Geographic Name
MARC field 751 in the Bibliographic format contains an added entry in which the entry element is a geographic name that is related to a particular attribute of the described item.
ǂa - Geographic name (NR) ǂe - Relator term (R) ǂ2 - Source of heading or term (NR) ‡3 - Materials specified (NR) ‡4 - Relator code (R)
Policy and formulation
- Apply to records for vault materials.
- Use when there is an event associated with a resource (excluding publication). Specifically,
- sermons, addresses, auctions, etc.
- descriptions/depictions of battles
- place of performance, if appearing prominently
- Do not use for place names associated with almanacs.
- Use authorized form of geographic name, in direct order.
- Use for all event places, regardless of redundancy with 752 or other fields.
- Add a relationship designator.
ǂe event place(from the MARC 21 relator code and term list) is expected to be appropriate for most circumstances.
ǂ2 lcshas appropriate
A sermon preached in Essex and published in London
751 Essex (England), ǂe event place. ǂ2 naf 752 Great Britain ǂb England ǂd London, ǂe publication place. ǂ2 naf
An acting edition of a London production printed in Dublin
751 London (England), ǂe event place. ǂ2 naf 752 Ireland ǂd Dublin, ǂe publication place. ǂ2 naf
A catalog printed in London for an auction to be held in London
751 London (England), ǂe event place. ǂ2 naf 752 Great Britain ǂb England ǂd London, ǂe publication place. ǂ2 naf
Commemoration of a sea battle that took place off the coast of Lowestoft, printed in London
751 Lowestoft (England), ǂe event place. ǂ2 naf 752 Great Britain ǂb England ǂd London, ǂe publication place. ǂ2 naf