MARC 375 Gender
MARC field 375 in the Authority format contains information about gender of a person, including dates applicable.
ǂa - Gender (R) ǂs - Start period (NR) ǂt - End period (NR) ǂu - Uniform Resource Identifier (R) ǂv - Source of information (R) ǂ2 - Source of term (NR)
Policy and formulation
- RDA allows use of terms from any source, but prefers standard lists when available (such as LCSH, etc.). Gender is not a core element.
- The RDA policy on gender was updated 1 February 2016; see RSC/Sec/1 for more information.
- Folger practice: Gender can be inferred from given names. For example, assume that Alice is female and John is male.
- Refrain from making assumptions about ambiguous given names (Robin, Pat, Leslie), or if you are in doubt about its gender-association in a particular language (Sille, Chunhua), unless you have firm evidence. In that case, make sure the evidence is presented in field 670. Example:
375 female 670 Wikipedia viewed 23 January 2015 ǂb (Michael Learned (born April 9, 1939) is an American actress, best known for her role as Olivia Walton in the long-running CBS drama series, The Waltons)
- MARC authority 375
- MARC authority 375 in Cataloger's Desktop (Access limited by licensing agreements)
- DCM Z1 375 in Cataloger's Desktop (Access limited by licensing agreements)