De Ricci numbers
Many manuscripts in the Folger collection are known by their "de Ricci" numbers, as well as by their Folger call numbers. De Ricci numbers come from Seymour de Ricci, Census of medieval and renaissance manuscripts in the United States and Canada. New York : H. W. Wilson, 1935-1940.
A card file of de Ricci entries with their corresponding Folger call numbers can be found in the little room to the left of the main card catalog room, between the two Reading Rooms.
The Folger has several bound copies of de Ricci's three-volume census (Hamnet record).
A searchable scanned copy of the census is available as an ACLS Humanities E-book (access restricted by licensing agreement):
- Volume 1: Alabama - Massachusetts (Folger Shakespeare Library entry goes from page 267 to page 450)
- Volume 2: Michigan - Wisconsin; Hawaii; Canada
- Volume 3: Indexes
- General index of names, titles and headings
- Scribes, illuminators and cartographers
- Gregory numbers for Greek New Testament manuscripts
- Present owners
- Previous owners