Annotated bibliography of readings related to Open City: London, 1500–1700
This annotated bibliography of readings related to includes print and web resources. It is not meant to be comprehensive, but is meant to lead the interested reader to some of the many resources in the area early modern London.
- Great Fire of London
- The Museum of London produced this multimedia walking tour of the Great Fire of London. You can watch the nine segments on YouTube or download the files in various formats.
- Website: http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/explore-online/spotify/great-fire-london-mp4-walking-tour/
- YouTube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL21FD0FF7E307AA82
- Map of Early Modern London
- The “Agas” map of London, from around the 1560s, is a woodcut printed on eight sheets. Scaled for wall display, its total size is approximately 2 feet by 6 feet. With funding from Canada’s Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, a team of scholars at the University of Victoria has been constructing an online, interactive version.
- Website: http://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/
- Tour Hogenburg's London
- Visit this map of London to find the locations of, and learn fun facts about landmark sites from early modern London—many of which are still around today.
- Website: http://titania.folger.edu/exhibitions/london/
- Virtual Paul's Cross Project
- Follow the work-in-progress on the Paul's Cross Project, which has been supported by a Digital Humanities grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities. When complete, it will enable scholars to experience John Donne's Gunpowder Day Sermon for November 5, 1622 in the space for which it was originally intended to be delivered, from multiple listening locations, in the midst of different sizes of congregations, and surrounded by the sounds of urban London life.
- Website: http://vpcp.chass.ncsu.edu
- A Caveatt for the Citty of London
- The full set of drawings of London’s late sixteenth-century markets from Hugh Alley’s A Caveatt for the City of London is available through the Folger Shakespeare Library’s digital image database, LUNA.
- Folger Call number: V.a.318
- Website: http://luna.folger.edu/luna/servlet/s/g5q0n6
- London—A City Through Time
- This map and book and guide is available as an iPad app that includes articles, images, and panoramic views of the 2000 year history of this city.
- Website: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/london-a-city-through-time/id537733115?mt=8
Two professors of economic history from the London School of Economics present some findings of their study of “Apprenticeship in Early Modern London” in this lecture at Gresham College. Gresham College was founded by Sir Thomas Gresham, who also founded the Royal Exchange.
The following titles are sorted thematically and arranged alphabetically.
Collections of scholarly essays
- Imagining Early Modern London: Perceptions and Portrayals of the City from Stow to Strype, 1598–1720. Edited by J. F. Merritt. Cambridge, UK and New York: Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- Folger Call number: DA681 .I43 2001
- Londinopolis: Essays in the Cultural and Social History of Early Modern London. Edited by Paul Griffiths and Mark S. R. Jenner. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2000.
- Folger Call number: DA688 .L663 2000
- Material London, ca. 1600. Edited by Lena Cowen Orlin. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2000.
- Folger Call number: DA680 .M38 2000
- The Places and Spaces of Early Modern London, Special issue of Huntington Library Quarterly. Edited by Jean Howard and Deborah Harkness. (2008).
- Folger Call number: Z733.S24 Q1
- Duffy, Eamon. Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England, c 1400 – c 1580. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1992.
- Folger Call number: BR742 .D8
- Lindley, Keith. Popular Politics and Religion in Civil War London. Aldershot, Eng.: Ashgate, 1997.
- Folger Call number: DA415 .L492 1997
- Merritt, J. F. The Social World of Early Modern Westminster: Abbey, Court, and Community, 1525–1640. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2005.
- Folger Call number: DA685.W5 M47 2005
- Morrissey, Mary. Politics and the Paul’s Cross Sermons, 1558–1642. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Folger Call number: BV4208.E5 M67 2011
- Pettegree, Andrew. Foreign Protestant Communities in Sixteenth-Century London. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1986.
- Folger Call number: BX9458.G7 P4
- Schofield, John. St. Paul’s Cathedral before Wren. London: English Heritage, 2011.
- Folger Call number: NA5470.S5 S63 2011
- Dillon, Janette. Theatre, Court, and City, 1595–1610: Drama and Social Space in London. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Folger Call number: PN2589 .D55 2000
- English Professional Theatre, 1530–1660. Edited by Glynne Wickham, Herbert Berry, and William Ingram. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Folger Call number: PN2589 .E55 2000
- Hill, Tracey. Pageantry and Power: A Cultural History of the Early Modern Lord Mayor’s Show, 1585–1639. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2010.
- Folger Call number: PR428.F47 H55 2010
- Howard, Jean. Theater of a City: The Places of London Comedy, 1598–1642. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2007.
- Folger Call number: PN2596.L6 H597 2007
- Knutson, Roslyn. Playing Companies and Commerce in Shakespeare's Time. Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- Folger Call number: PR3095 .K59 2001
- Localizing Caroline Drama: Politics and Economics of the Early Modern Stage, 1625–1642. Edited by Adam Zucker and Alan B. Farmer. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2006.
- Folger Call number: PN2592 .L54 2006
- Hugh Alley’s Caveat: The Markets of London in 1598: Folger Ms. V.a. 318. Edited by Ian Archer, Caroline Barron, and Vanessa Harding. London: London Topographical Society, 1988.
- Folger Call Number: DA675 .L86 no.137
- Korda, Natasha. Shakespeare’s Domestic Economies: Gender and Property in Early Modern England. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2002.
- Folger Call Number: PR3069.S45 K67 2002
- Muldrew, Craig. The Economy of Obligation: The Culture of Credit and Social Relations in Early Modern England. Hounmills, Basingstoke: Palgrave, 1998.
- Folger Call Number: HG3711.G7 M85 1998
- Peck, Linda Levy. Consuming Splendor: Society and Culture in Seventeenth-Century England. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- Folger Call Number: DA380 .P43 2005
- The Royal Exchange. Edited by Ann Saunders. London: London Topographical Society, 1997.
- Folger Call Number: DA675 .L86 no.152
- Stern, Philip J. The Company-State: Corporate Sovereignty and the Early Modern Foundation of the British Empire in India. New York: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Folger Call Number: HF486.E6 S73 2011
- Clery, E. J. “Women, Publicity, and the Coffee-House Myth,” in Women: A Cultural Review 2 (1991): 168-77.
- Folger Call Number:
- Cowan, Brian. The Social Life of Coffee: The Emergence of the British Coffeehouse. New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2005.
- Folger Call Number: TX908 .C68 2005
- Ellis, Markman. The Coffee House: A Cultural History. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2004.
- Folger Call Number: