Virtual Bookplates are now created for all donated items and items purchased with donated or restricted-use funds by Acquisitions.
Before July 2013, material paid for through Acquisition Restricted Endowment Funds, Acquisitions Night adoptions, etc. received a glued-in bookplate, either fully pre-printed (for REFs) or pre-printed "Gift of" followed by a typewritten credit. This practice was discontinued for several reasons, including: staff time for typing and gluing; potential problems with PVA glue over time; misunderstandings by researchers who equated "Gift of" with "Formerly owned by," and inability for donors to easily see their generosity acknowledged. Based partly on procedures discussed in Steven Carrico et al., "Virtual bookplates: Enhancing donor recognition and library development," College & Research Libraries News, vol. 71, no. 8, pp. 419-423, a procedure was developed that would immediately create appropriate display text, and could in future be enhanced to display purchases on a page for each fund (like Penn does, e.g. The Joseph B. Glossberg Fund Home Page) or have a search box for donors on the Development page and in the OPAC (like U of Florida Smathers Library does)
- Eye-readable "Purchase made possible by..." or "Gift of..." text goes in a separate 852‡z in order to display on a new line, immediately after the call number and copy-specific notes, in Hamnet.
- Machine-actionable non-displaying entries for the names of people or organizations go in a locally-defined 790 (personal name added entry) or 791 (corporate name added entry) with the authorized relationship designator "donor," "funder," or (possibly) "honoree," in a ‡e, and a unique identifier linking them to a fund in Voyager or a name in Tessitura (Development's software).
In the cataloging module:
- Make a local name added entry for each person, organization, or reporting REF associated with the funding. Provide the name in ‡a and the unique identifier in ‡g:
790 1_ ‡a for personal name; enter as Surname, Forename(s) and end with a comma, ‡g for the person's constituent ID number in Tessitura
791 2_ ‡a for corporate name; enter as _Name of REF or Company_ and end with a comma, ‡g for the REF's Voyager Record ID or the company's constituent ID in Tessitura
- Repeat as needed if there are multiple funders for an item
- Add one of the following relationship designators after the final comma of the ‡a:
‡e donor. ‡5 DFo(for a gift-in-kind)
‡e funder. ‡5 DFo(for the person, Acquisitions Night donor, REF, or company the money came from)
‡e honoree. ‡5 DFo(for the person, if any, it's "in honor of," "in memory of," etc.) [Note: this might not be part of the final procedure. It depends on whether or not Development thinks a machine-actionable entry for the honoree is worth it given that there won't be an associated Tessitura record]
- Make an associated 852‡z containing the text that should display in Hamnet. Use the following patterns (which can be combined as needed, e.g. Gift of x in memory of y):
- Purchase made possible by...
- Gift of...
- Adopted by [insert gift label request], Acquisitions Night [year]...
- Purchase [or Gift] in celebration of...
- Purchase [or Gift] in honor of...
- Purchase [or Gift] in memory of...
- ... extend the standard 852‡z with additional notes to accommodate special requests, if appropriate.
- Copy the 852‡z from the bib record to the hldg record to make a second 852 field.
791 2_ ‡a Elizabeth Niemyer Acquisitions Fund, ‡e funder. ‡g 18 ‡5 DFo
852 8_ ‡z Purchase made possible by the Elizabeth Niemyer Acquisitions Fund.
790 1_ ‡a Doe, John, ‡e funder. ‡g ### ‡5 DFo
790 1_ ‡a Reubens, Paul. ‡g45320, ‡e honoree. ‡5 DFo
852 8_ ‡z Purchase made possible by Paul Reubens in honor of E.G Dailey.
790 1_ ‡a Costanza, George, ‡e donor. ‡g ### ‡5 DFo
852 8_ ‡z Gift of George Costanza.
790 1_ ‡a O'Hara, Scarlett ‡e funder. ‡5 DFo
790 1_ ‡a Butler, Rhett, ‡e funder. ‡5 DFo
852 8_ ‡z Adopted by Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler, Acquisitions Night 2012.
852 8_ ‡z Adopted by Jean Louise Finch in honor of Atticus Finch, Acquisitions Night 2012.
- 852 8_ ‡z Adopted anonymously, Acquisitions Night 2012.
If there is more than one holding preface the ‡z note with a ‡x containing the six-digit accession number.
852 8_ ‡x 234567 ‡z Adopted anonymously, Acquisitions Night 2012.
- If necessary, preface the ‡z note in the Bib record with a ‡3 for the copy number (or other indication of the item to which the information applies)
- If a fully pre-printed gift plate for a Restricted Endowment Fund (REF) is present, create a 791/852 pair for the fund and copy the 852‡z from the bib record to the holding record to make a second 852 field. If necessary, preface the ‡z note in the Bib record with a ‡3 for the copy number (or other indication of the item to which the information applies)
- If a fill-in-the-blank typed gift plate is present, do nothing.