Uncataloged Wings project
The uncataloged Wings project, aka "Wings of desire," is a special project to bring records into Hamnet of Wing holdings that were accidentally missed by the Folger ESTC project (1996-2003). A small, non-random and unscientific sample revealed that about 20% of 60 green accession slips were not in Hamnet.
Identifying missing Wings
- Open the Voyager cataloging module; select basic search -> Keyword (keystrokes: Alt-r s alt-k). Search the green accession slips by entering the Wing number given on the slip in the basic keyword search box. Be sure to close up the space between letter and number in the search.
- If a record comes up, make sure it's not for an electronic resource, and compare the Wing number on the slip to see that it matches the Wing number in the 510. (This is a necessary step, since the search will also retrieve records in which the Wing number is mentioned in a note but is not in the 510.) If things match, go on to the next slip.
- If they don't match, or if there's some anomaly, search the ESTC. Either satisfy yourself that what we bought is represented properly in the ESTC and in Hamnet, or alert the project manager.
- If no record for the book is found in Hamnet, double-check by pulling up the relevant record in the ESTC and scrolling down to the North American holdings.
- If the Folger is not shown as holding the item, go to the next section.
Connexion selection and export
- Search Connexion.
- Experience recommends using the left-anchored title phrase search (truncate with ?) with these settings from the search screen (keytroke = F2)
- Select a record that matches the information on the slip. It doesn't have to be the best record, just one that looks good enough. (Hint: from the results screen, avoid records that have information in ALL CAPS.] Take care not to select a record for a microfilm or electronic resource.
- Add these fields:
099 [accession number]
500 This record represents material that has not yet been cataloged. It may contain incorrect or incomplete information. Please consult Curator for assistance. ǂ5 DFo
583 0_ WorldCat import ‡c [yyyy-mm] ‡k [initials] ‡x Uncataloged Wings project ‡2 local ‡5 DFo
- If the record does not have the Wing citation, copy it from the ESTC record and paste into the Connexion record. Example:
510 4_ Wing (2nd ed., 1994), ‡c A2934
- Save to the local save file (keystroke = F4).
- Export (keystroke = F5).
Import to Voyager
Note: it's well worth the time to set up Voyager preferences and templates for this project.
- Open the export file in the Voyager cataloging module (keystroke = Alt-r p).
- Select an exported record, copy the accession number from the 099 (to save keystrokes for later), and save (keystroke = Ctrl-b)
- Create a holding record (keystroke = Alt-r e), and paste the accession number in the 852 ‡h. Save. Example:
852 8_ ‡b DeckC-Rare ‡h 222515
- Create an item record (keystroke = Alt-r t). Save and close (keystroke Ctrl-q).
- Or, if computer is equipped with MacroExpress, simply download the macro from the Central Library drive, it is called Voyager import from OCLC (keystroke = Shift+F1).
- The project manager requests tab-delimited file of bib ID, 099, 100, 245, 260$c, 264$c from Head of Collection Information Services (who creates it by extracting MARC records containing the project-specific 583)
- The project manager creates call slips from the resulting spreadsheet
- After finishing all the slips for a given year, mark it off as finished in the Progress section.
Questions and anomalies
Please don't hesitate to ask the cataloger heading up the project or the Head of Collection Information Services if you have questions about anything. If you come across a problem that can't be solved, for example, the information on the slip matches two different editions, alert the cataloger so she can give it priority cataloging.
An Excel spreadsheet contains a longer list of books with anomalies or other issues. Contact the Collection Information Services assistant for this list.
- 2003–2014: Acquisitions staff and curators find many instances of Folger holdings of Wing books not in Hamnet, and report them to the Senior Cataloger responsible for rare English books. She fills out call slips for those items, and generally gives them cataloging priority.
- 2014–2015: At some point in late 2014 or early 2015, Senior Cataloger imports OCLC records into Voyager, and adds the appropriate HBCN for vault material. She fills out call slips for future use, but no longer considers them priority.
- 2015–08: Senior Cataloger undertakes a small, unscientific trial project to ascertain the viability of using the Wing chronological file to uncover uncataloged Wings. She experiments with various ways of searching Hamnet and the ESTC. She searches about 61 green slips; of those 13 (or 21%) were not in Hamnet. The entire process of searching the ESTC, selecting OCLC records, exporting to Hamnet and creating holdings and item records took 3 1/2 hours. Given the high number of Wings not in Hamnet, Head of Collection Information Services decides that it's worth assigning her administrative assistant to the task.
- 2015-09 – current: The Administrative Assistant for Collection Information Services begins the project, starting with the first drawer in the Wing chronological file. Using macros to import to Hamnet and create holdings and item records greatly speeds up the project.