Talk:English short title catalogue
Origin of page
- Instead of stringing new information to the existing |x in the holdings record, what about concatenating |x's for each update? Advantage is that the different update events will correspond to a separate element.
- Should the updated 852 be copied to the bibliographic record?
- Updates made during other db maintenance projects (the exhibition catalog project, for example), the interns were instructed to add their initials to the first 852 in the bib record and ignore the holdings record(s). Is this a problem? --Deborah J. Leslie (talk) 16:28, 30 April 2014 (EDT)
- Separate the instructions that pertain generally to adding holdings to the ESTC, and leave only ShCol cleanup-specific instructions
- Add instructions on reporting unrecorded editions/issues
- Create a table for the project worker to record problems in the matching process; make it a subsection of ShCol project --Deborah J. Leslie (talk) 16:36, 30 April 2014 (EDT)
Matching to the ESTC ShCol procedures
Removed from the main page; these procedures were never used. If desired in the future to confirm and correct Folger holdings for 18c editions of Shakespeare, these instructions can be reviewed and re-added.
Matching to the ESTC
The Folger collection of in-scope holdings are intended to be completely represented in the ESTC. Pre-1701 and some 18th-century holdings were added to the ESTC database by Folger catalogers. Most 18th-century holdings were added by ESTC staff based on Folger reports to the North American editorial center during the initial, 18th-century phase of the project (approximately 1980-1990). Our intention is to have all Folger holdings in the ESTC either added or updated by Folger catalogers.
Eighteenth-century Folger holdings are included in the ESTC, having earlier been added by ESTC North American staff working from Folger reports. In the interests of focusing grant-funded time and labor on item-in-hand descriptive recataloging, confirmation and augmentation of the ESTC was quickly dropped from the NEH ShCol grant project as something that could be done later by Folger staff. These procedures outline that process.
- The pool of applicable records can be obtained by doing a builder search in the cataloging module:
cms? in Holdings Record NOT estc in Holdings Record
- Do this exact search (initial number retrieved 826)
- Read the notes in the bibliographic record
- If the ESTC is mentioned in any note aside from the 510 "Cited in" field, add the Voyager record id to the table below and move to the next record
- If it seems straightforward, copy the ESTC number from the bibliographic record and switch to the ESTC
- Open the ESTC XML interface
- The Senior Cataloger for English materials can supply the link
- It is confidential; do not give out the link location to anyone for any reason
- Paste the copied ESTC number into the ESTC IDs search box
- Find the Folger holding(s), which will be prefaced by
nDFo(the libraries are alphabetized by MARC Organizational code within these categories):
- British libraries (prefix 'b')
- European libraries (prefix 'e')
- North American libraries (preface 'n')
- Other regions (prefix 'o')
- Select the Folger holding and examine the information carefully
- Is the call number correct? Is there a space after the hyphen in an accession call number? Does it have "Sh.Col." or "Cage" at the end? Are the elements in the proper order and formatted correctly? If not, please correct.
- Are the copy-specific notes
852 ǂzfrom the Hamnet holdings record in the ESTC holdings record? If not, please copy-and-paste from Hamnet. Notes having to do with the completeness, readability, or other physical aspects of the book go into box
7a.Everything else goes into
- Save the holdings record by selecting the
Update button.Close the window
- Does each Folger copy attached to the bibliographic record have a corresponding holding in the ESTC? If not, please add new holdings as needed by selecting the
Add holdingbutton at the top of the window.
Back to Hamnet
- Open the holdings record for each copy that has been confirmed in the ESTC and update the
852 ǂxby appending the following information to the existing string:
estc [cataloger's initials] [yeardate]
- Copy field 852 and replace the 852 in the bibliographic record ???