Searching the collection if Hamnet is down
Whether our researchers are using our online catalog Hamnet outside the institution or while visiting the Folger in person, it is the best way to learn what our holdings are and where to find them. In the event that our online catalog is down, we have provided this article to demonstrate various workarounds so that our patrons' work can continue, even through an outage.
N.B. Hamnet will be down October 5-October 6 for an upgrade to the system. Thank you for your patience and please feel free to contact us for assistance.
Finding modern books and materials
In the case of an online catalog outage, our subscription services will still be available and the list can be found here.
To find the call number of a modern book:
- search the title under "Books" in WorldCat
- select the correct title
- scroll down to see the list of libraries which hold that book
- select the Library of Congress holding and follow the redirect to their online catalog
- the call number of their copy will be the same or very close to the same as the call number of the book at the Folger
- find the book in the Deck B Modern Stacks
Locating books printed before 1800
- search the STC or Wing number, title, or author's name in the search box
- select the record you wish to view
- if the record indicates the Folger has a copy, select "HOLDINGS DETAILS" at the top of the page.
- look at the holdings record for the Folger and the institutional call number will appear.
To search for incunabula, navigate to the Incunabula Short Title Catalogue and complete the same steps for the ESTC.
Books acquired before 1997
All book acquired before 1997 can be searched onsite in our extensive card catalogs. Please refer to this Folgerpedia article for search tips and assistance.
Searching for manuscripts
The Folger Finding Aids database is not connected to Hamnet and should still work during any outage.