Two or more individual works in a single volume, bound together after publication, are called Sammelbands; also called "bound-withs."
- For any Vault material, each Bib record has its own holding and item records.
- Formulation of the shelfmark should follow the procedures for rare books
- Follow these procedures for constructing the accompanying local note
- If there are more than 3 items bound together, do not list individual plays; if the works in a sammelband can be characterized, prefer using position and characterization in the local note, e.g., Bound 1st of 7 Shakespeare plays published in Dublin.
Open stack Sammelbands
Multiple modern works bound together subsequent to publication will have multiple bibliographic records in Hamnet, one for each separate title. These "bound-with" volumes should nevertheless have only one holdings record, only one item record, and only one barcode. This single item record and single holdings record will be linked to multiple bibliographic records. That way, the barcode will be entered into Hamnet only once and Reading Room staff will need to make only one transaction when checking the book out, at which point all bibliographic records associated with the physical volume will display the appropriate status.
- Catalog the first item in the volume. In Voyager, create a normal holding and item record for it. Add a note in the 852 ǂz field to indicate that several things are bound together:
852 0_ ... ǂz Bound with: Last name, F.I. Title. City : Publisher, Date.
Or, if there are more than three works together:
852 0_ ... ǂz Bound first in a volume with three other sermons. 852 0_ ... ǂz Bound fifth in a collected volume of twenty oratorios. 852 0_ ... ǂz Bound ninth with 12 other tracts in the White Staff series with binder’s title "Miscellaneous pamphlets, 1714."
- Enter the bibliographic record ID of subsequent titles when prompted. For this reason it is a good idea to keep the bibliographic record numbers of the subsequent titles you are cataloging until the link has been made. Some catalogers find it helpful to cascade the windows when doing this so that all record numbers are visible.
- Double check:
- Use "retrieve by barcode" function to call up the item record; click on the down arrow to the right of the title in the item record. A pop-down menu should list all the titles bound in.
- Search the call number in Hamnet. The number of hits should match the number of titles bound in.
STC and Wing classification
When cataloging Sammelbands classified by STC or Wing number, write the corresponding number on the back of each work, in addition to writing the shelfmark for the whole volume at the back of the binding. Care must be taken to distinguish the bibliography number pertaining to a single work from the shelfmark for the whole book. (From http://bard.folger.edu/cgi-bin/view.pl/Main/CentralLibrary/Handling)