Pressbooks and press kits
|This article is currently a draft.|
These are classified as ART Vols. and cataloged by modern materials catalogers. Pressbooks were issued by studios to help theater owners promote particular films; they often include information about the film in addition to recommended advertising strategies. Souvenir programs can be for stage productions, film releases, or special showings of films. As of August 2014, pressbooks and programs for film releases are fully cataloged; programs for single events or theatrical runs are generally given a minimal-level record and an accession-based program call number only.
- Use cataloger's judgement in determining the title: due to the nature of pressbooks, this may lead to an unwieldy 245 field and several variant titles.
245 00 ‡a Laurence Olivier presents "Hamlet" by William Shakespeare.
246 1 ‡i At head of title: ‡a A J. Arthur Rank enterprise
246 10 ‡a Hamlet
- Add a 500 note on the nature of the resource.
500 Souvenir booklet from Katharine Cornell's 1947 production of Antony and Cleopatra.
- Add the appropriate genre term in a 655 field.
655 7 Souvenir programs. ‡2 rbgenr
- Add subject entries for the names of prominent actors, characters, and the play or film (with the relationship designator depicted, as appropriate).
600 10 Shakespeare, William, ‡d 1564-1616. ‡t King Lear, ‡e depicted.
630 00 Ran (Motion picture), ‡e depicted.
600 10 Barrymore, John, ‡d 1882-1942, ‡e depicted.
- Add a 700 name-title heading for the Shakespeare play on which an adaptation is based (i.e., Taming of the shrew for Kiss me, Kate and Comedy of errors for Boys from Syracuse).
700 10 Shakespeare, William, ‡d 1564-1616. ‡t Taming of the shrew
- Add a 710 for the film or theater company promoting the film or production. If cataloging a program for showing(s) at a specific theater, add a heading for that institution as well.
710 2 Theatre Guild.
- Add a 752 entry for place(s) of publication, manufacture, etc. If the program is for a single film showing or theatrical production, add a 751 entry for place of occurrence.
751 New York (N.Y.), ‡e event place. ‡2 naf
752 United States ‡b New York (State) ‡d New York. ‡2 naf