Whenever possible, material is fully cataloged in Hamnet before being exhibited or put up for adoption at Acq Night. When there isn't time for full cataloging, catalogers make sure that the following information is reasonable in Hamnet:
- Fixed field data
- Title (verify transcription)
- GMD, if applicable (usually "[graphic]" or "[manuscript]")
- Statement of responsibility, if applicable (verify transcription)
- Place of creation, if applicable (verify transcription)
- Publisher, if applicable (verify transcription)
- Date (verify transcription)
- Relationship designators, if present
- Information from the dealer's description, if present, has an introductory phrase (like "Dealer's description:")
- If the record has an authorized access point for a creator or for the work, verify that it's in the preferred form.
- Delete or correct any obviously incorrect access points.
- Keep the HBCN "This record represents material that has not yet been cataloged. It may contain incorrect or incomplete information. Please consult Curator for assistance."
583 0_ $a Preliminary cataloging $c yyyymmdd $k [your initials] $5 DFo(add $3 as the first element if the record has multiple holdings)
After exhibition, return to the item and catalog it fully. For Acq Night items, full cataloging is only a priority if the item was adopted.