MARC 856 Electronic Location and Access
MARC field 856 in the Bibliographic and holdings format contains information needed to locate and access an electronic resource. The field may be used in a bibliographic record for a resource when that resource or a subset of it is available electronically. In addition, it may be used to locate and access an electronic version of a non-electronic resource described in the bibliographic record or a related electronic resource.
4 - HTTP
0 - Resource (Use when the item being described is electronic in nature, such as an online journal) 1 - Version of resource (Use for electronic images of the resource being described) 2 - Related resource (Use for resources related to the resource being described, such as online tables of contents or a finding aid to a manuscript collection) (for additional information, see 555_Cumulative_Index_Finding_Aid)
‡u - Uniform Resource Identifier (R) ‡x - Nonpublic note (R) ‡y - Link text (R) ‡z - Public note (R) ‡3 - Materials specified (NR)
Policy and formulation
When the bib record is for original material in the Folger collection
- Make hypertext links to Folger digital images or related resources to the material being described.
- When linking to the reproduction of a specific item (or portion of an item) represented by the bibliographic record (e.g. the bib record is for a manuscript, and the digital reproduction is of all or part of that manuscript), add an 856 to the existing holding record for the item being reproduced.
- When linking to a related resource (e.g., a table of contents, a Folger finding aid, a Collation post about an item), create a separate holdings record with location code 'EleRes' and call number 'For access, follow the Linked Resources hyperlink'.
- Do not add links to non-Folger reproductions, even if they reproduce the Folger copy (previously, we sometimes made additional holdings for EEBO links and Hathi Trust links; now, those would be separate bib records).
- When linking to a complete digital reproduction of a codex from the Folger, use the phrasing "Cover-to-cover images of Folger Shakespeare Library [call no. and copy no.]"; or the citation form for manuscripts, "Cover-to-cover images of Folger Shakespeare Library MS [call no.]". When the fully-reproduced item-in-question is not a codex, use instead the phrasing "Digital image(s) of Folger Shakespeare Library [call no. and copy no.]"; or the citation form for manuscripts, "Digital image(s) images of Folger Shakespeare Library MS [call no.]".
- Folger practice: use ‡z for link text.
- When linking from a bibliographic record in Hamnet to only one or more (but not all) images from an item, use the following steps:
- Link to the thumbnail page rather than the image details page. If additional images are created for that title, the link will be revised at that point.
- Use this text for the 530 ‡a:
Portions also available as a digital reproduction.Or, if there's also a holdings record for microfilm, note both in a single note
Also available on microfilm and portions available as a digital reproduction.
- Use this text for the 856 ‡z:
Selected image(s) from Folger Shakespeare Library [insert call no. here; if a mss, precede the call no with 'MS']
- If both collection-level and item-level records exist in Hamnet, provide digital image links in the item-level records only.
When the bib record is for an electronic resource
- When linking to a commercial reproduction (e.g., ECCO or Google Books), even if the reproduction is of the Folger item, create a separate bib record. Use the location code 'EleRes' in the holding record.
- Add the phrase "(Access limited by licensing agreements)" at the end of the 856$z when the resource is not freely available.
These instructions partly repeat what's above, but are given here separately for the benefit of non-catalogers adding LUNA links to bib records.
- Make hyperlinks to all Folger reproductions (including incomplete reproductions) in Luna.
- In the Voyager cataloging module:
- Find the bib record and add a 530 field (or edit an existing one) that says "Portions also available as a digital reproduction."; or "Also available as a digital reproduction." When possible, combine such notes with "Also available on microfilm" notes.
- Open the MARC holdings record for the correct copy of the material and add an 856 field containing the URL and the link text. If the item has been fully digitized and is available as a BookReader object, link directly to the Bookreader and add "(BookReader view)" after the call number. If the item has been fully digitized but is not available as a BookReader, link to the thumbnails and add "(BookReader thumbnails)" after the call number.
852 8 ‡b DeckC-Rare‡h 225- 505q 856 41 ‡u http://luna.folger.edu/luna/servlet/s/ur0c5s ‡z Digital reproduction of Folger Shakespeare Library 225- 505q (BookReader view)
- In the Voyager cataloging module, add an 856 field containing the URL and the link text: "Folgerpedia article about Folger Shakespeare Library [call no.]"
- If the Folgerpedia article contains a full transcription, add "(with transcription)" after the call number in $z of the 856 field; if the Folgerpedia article contains a partial transcription, use "(with partial transcription)" instead.
856 42 ‡u http://folgerpedia.folger.edu/Poetical_miscellany_circa_1640_V.a.245 ‡z Folgerpedia article about Folger Shakespeare Library V.a.245 (with partial transcription)
852 8 ‡b EleRes ‡z For access, follow the Linked Resources hyperlink 856 42 ‡u http://folgerpedia.folger.edu/Poetical_miscellany_circa_1640_V.a.245 ‡z Folgerpedia article about Folger Shakespeare Library V.a.245 (with partial transcription)
- In the Voyager cataloging module, add an 856 field containing the URL and the link text: "Blog post about Folger Shakespeare Library [call no.]: "Title of blog post," The Collation (dd Month yyyy)"
856 42 ‡u http://collation.folger.edu/2011/10/a-ghost-for-halloween/ ‡z Blog post about Folger Shakespeare Library FPa88: "A Ghost for Halloween", The Collation (31 October 2011)
852 8 ‡b EleRes ‡z For access, follow the Linked Resources hyperlink 856 42 ‡u http://collation.folger.edu/2011/10/a-ghost-for-halloween/ ‡z Blog post about Folger Shakespeare Library FPa88: "A Ghost for Halloween", The Collation (31 October 2011)
856 40 ǂu http://dictionary.oed.com/entrance.dtl ǂz Oxford English dictionary (Online) (Access limited by licensing agreements)
856 41 ǂu http://gateway.proquest.com/openurl?ctx_ver=Z39.88-2003&res_id=xri:eebo&rft_val_fmt=&rft_id=xri:eebo:image:11596 ǂz EEBO digital reproduction of Folger Shakespeare Library STC 22273 Fo.1 no.07 (Access limited by licensing agreements)
856 41 ǂu http://luna.folger.edu/luna/servlet/s/ey9pxg ǂz Selected images from Folger Shakespeare Library MS W.a.239
856 42 ǂu http://findingaids.folger.edu/dfobacontownshend.xml ǂz Guide to the Bacon-Townshend collection
856 42 ‡u http://folgerpedia.folger.edu/Miscellany_of_Henry_Oxinden,_ca._1642-1670_V.b.110 ‡z Folgerpedia article about Folger Shakespeare Library V.b.110 (with partial transcription)
Locate the image or set of images by searching in "Hamnet Holdings ID":
- In Luna, choose "Advanced Search" and use the third row of search boxes (i.e. the one that provides "find this exact wording:"). Then choose "Hamnet Holdings ID" from the second field dropdown. Type in the holdings ID of the copy that is being linked to.
- The results of the search should represent all the images currently in Luna for that specific copy.
- From your search results, choose the "Sort Options" button (box with two up-and-down arrows). In the "Primary sort field", choose "Multiple Page Sort Order" from the dropdown. This indicates that the images will display in what was deemed the correct order when they were originally digitized (ex. front and back of a writ).
- Note that in some cases you may need to have your primary sort set to "Call Number (PDI)" and set your secondary sort to "Multiple Page Sort Order" in order to get the best results.
- Change the display options to show 250 items per page, and to show medium thumbnails.
- Click "Share This" while on the results (thumbnail images) screen to get the permalink.
- If there is and only ever will be one image for the item in question (e.g., a painting), open the image details view and get permalink from this screen. Be sure to right click on the thumbnail and open up the image detail view in a new tab; otherwise, the other search results, which may not be relevant, will show up as thumbnails to scroll through in the top-right corner of the single image view.
- In the late 1990s and early 2000s, some records used the phrase "available only from Folger computers" and some put linked text in ǂy instead of $z
- Before about 2012, some records for Folger vault material included links to non-Folger reproductions (e.g. from EEBO, Google Books, and Hathi Trust), whether or not the reproduction was of the Folger copy. Now, any electronic reproductions outside the Folger's own image repository should have separate bib records. Previously, the additional holdings would have looked like this:
856 41 ǂu http://hdl.handle.net/2027/uc1.b253372 ǂz Digital reproduction of an original in the University of California, Berkeley
856 41 ǂu http://books.google.com/books?id=xSQkAAAAMAAJ ǂz Digital reproduction of an original of v. 1 in the New York Public Library. 856 41 ǂu http://books.google.com/books?id=cyQkAAAAMAAJ ǂz Digital reproduction of an original of v. 2 in the New York Public Library.