MARC 773 Host Item Entry
MARC field 773 in the Bibliographic format contains information identifying the target of a vertical relationship, for example, the host volume for a journal article when the article is cataloged separately. Originally intended to allow users to find the published volume that contains the component described in the record, MARC field 773 has come to be used by special collections libraries for copy-specific purposes as well, for example linking record for items in a collection to the parent record for the collection, and linking records for individual items in an extra-illustrated volume to the record for the parent volume.
This field is repeatable.
- [indicate whether the field is searchable in Hamnet drop-downs, or only in the staff module and Command Line search]
1st indicator – Note controller
0 - Display note 1 - Do not display note
2nd indicator – Display constant controller
# - In 8 - No display constant generated
ǂa - Main entry heading ǂd - Place, publisher, and date of publication ǂg - Related parts ǂh - Physical description ǂi - Relationship information ǂn - Note ǂo - Other item identifier ǂt - Title ǂw - Record control number
Policy and formulation
- Routinely add 773 fields to records for items that contain or are associated with constituent units.
- As of December 5, 2017, Hamnet is set so that links to "Related records" are automatically generated when any of the following is true:
- the 773$t in the child record matches the 245$a of the parent record
- the 773$o in the child record matches the Bib ID of the parent record
- the 774$o in the parent record exactly matches the 773$t of the child record (remember to code the first indicator so that the note does not display)
- each 774$o of the parent record contains the Voyager bib ID of a child record (remember to code the first indicator so that the note does not display)