MARC 752 Added Entry - Hierarchical Place Name
MARC field 752 in the bibliographic format contains a hierarchical form of a geographic name relating to an attribute of the described material. For rare materials, it is for the place of publication, production, or creation. All elements of this field are included in the Published/Created Place index in Hamnet's advanced search.
ǂa Country or larger entity ǂb First-order political jurisdiction ǂc Intermediate political jurisdiction ǂd City
- Add 752 to records for pre-1831 rare books, for post-1830 vault materials, and all records for art and manuscripts, for each place that has been explicitly named in connection with the publication or creation of a work. Needs discussion
- Add one 752 for each place name mentioned.
- If the publication is related to an event, such as a sermon or auction, add a 752 for the place of the event if different from the place of publication.
This field ends with a full stop unless other mark of punctuation is present.
- In general, the content and layout of the elements, although not the indicators or the delimiters, will follow MARC field 781 in the LC/NACO Authority File record for that place name.
- Do not use ǂc (Intermediate political jurisdiction) unless not using ǂd (City)
- For the United States, Canada, Great Britain, and Australia, use the country name as the first element and the first-order political jurisdiction as the second element
- If a place name has a parenthetical qualifier necessary for disambiguation, do not interpose it in 752 ǂc. Instead, subdivide according to the 781 field in the authority record. E.g., 752 Germany ǂd Weimar (Thuringia).
- Australia is an exception to following the 781 in the authority record; interpose the state name between country and city, just as we do for Great Britain, Canada, and the U.S. It differs from the practice used for Weimar and Beaumont as illustrated below--the latter uses the qualifier to disambiguate cities of the same name.
- For works dealing with jurisdictions now contained in a larger metropolitan area, subdivide only to the city in subject headings (per the Subject Headings Manual).
752 ǂa Great Britain ǂb England ǂd London. 752 ǂa Great Britain ǂb Scotland ǂd Edinburgh. 752 ǂa Great Britain ǂb England ǂd Beaumont (Essex) 752 ǂa Great Britain ǂb England ǂd Beaumont (Cumbria) 752 ǂa Great Britain ǂb England ǂc Sussex. 752 ǂa Ireland ǂd Dublin. 752 ǂa United States ǂb Massachusetts ǂd Boston. 752 ǂa United States ǂb New York (State) ǂd New York. 752 ǂa Canada ǂb Ontario ǂd Toronto. 752 ǂa Australia ǂb Victoria ǂd Melbourn. 752 ǂa Netherlands ǂd Hague. 752 ǂa France ǂd Paris. 752 ǂa Germany ǂd Weimar (Thuringia)