MARC 670 Source Data Found
|This article is currently a draft.|
MARC Field 670 in the authority format contains a citation for a consulted source in which information is found related in some manner to the entity represented by the authority record or related entities. It may also include the information found in the source.
ǂa Source citation (NR) ǂb Information found (NR) ǂu Uniform Resource Identifier (R)
Policy and formulation
- The first 670 is the resource you're cataloging that prompted the creation of the NAR (unless the name doesn't appear on the source; see MARC 675 - Source Data Not Found
- In general, only cite sources that give added information, and limit information to support of NAR data elements
- When citing reference sources, always give the name as it appears on the source; however, other information can and usually should be summarized and translated
- In general, avoid the use of URLs unless 1) it is necessary to identify the resource and/or 2) it is a permalink or persistent URL (LC guidelines)
- Prefer the wording viewed plus the date to indicate that an electronic resource is being cited
- Even when giving a URL, you are required to include information in the NAR 670 to justify data elements.
- Specific resources
- VIAF: give the permalink to the VIAF cluster, along with any alternate spellings or other information in the 670. If it makes more sense to cite an individual organization's authority record, specify the organization; give a URL only if it is a permalink
- See Contacting people for authority control for guidelines
- Per the NACO Participants' Manual, the citation can be specific ("Email from author," "Phone call to publisher," etc.) or general ("information from author," "information from publisher," etc.). Either way, include the date of correspondence.
670 Otello, 1883: ǂb title page (Zagreb : Naklada "Hrvatske Knjižare" G. Grünhuta) 670 VIAF, viewed 13 December 2014 ǂb (Grünhut, Gavro, 1849-1906) ǂu http://viaf.org/viaf/305333134 670 Hrvatski biografski leksikon, viewed 15 December 2014 ǂb (Grünhut, Gavro (Gabriel); 24 March 1849 (Senj)-3 March 1906 (Beč); publisher, printer, journalist; associated with the Croatian Party of Rights (HSP))