MARC 581 Publications About Described Materials Note
MARC field 581 in the Bibliographic format contains a citation or other information about a publication that is based on the use, study, or analysis of the materials described in the record. It is repeatable.
1st: Display constant controller
# - Publications
8 - No display constant generated
ǂa - Publications about described materials note (NR)
ǂz - International Standard Book Number (R)
ǂ3 - Materials specified (NR)
Policy and formulation
- Use 581 for citations to and descriptions of scholarly publications about the Folger copies of material described (while the note can be used for a general reading list, that's not something we want to be in the business of maintaining).
- Include an introductory phrase followed by a colon as necessary when using first indicator "8" ("No display constant generated")
- Follow the Chicago Manual of Style format for bibliographies, i.e., the style guide used in Folger publications. Short version: invert the name of the first author, and separate the main elements with periods, not commas.
- For informal electronic publications like Folgerpedia and The Collation, make a MARC 856 Electronic Location and Access note instead.
- For published engravings of paintings, make a general note instead.
- Field 581 ends with a period unless another mark of punctuation is present.
581 ǂa Zarnowiecki, Matthew. "A Blurred Notebook: Ephemeral Literature and the Lyric Moment in Folger MS X.d.177." In Manuscript Miscellanies c. 1450-1700, edited by Richard Beadle and Colin Burrow, 48-69. English Manuscript Studies 1100-1700, vol. 16. London: British Library, 2012.