MARC 541 Immediate Source of Acquisition Note
MARC field 541 in the bibliographic and holdings formats contains information about the immediate source of acquisition of the described materials. This field is repeatable.
1st indicator - Privacy
0 - Private 1 - Not private
2nd indicator - Undefined
ǂ3 - Materials specified (NR) ǂe - Accession number (NR) ǂ5 - Institution to which field applies (NR)
Policy and formulation
Used in Folger records for the accession number. Do not use for recording source, method, or date of acquisition: this is maintained in database form in the Acquisitions module of the Integrated Library System, and entered as an eye-readable note in MARC 561$a (for unique items such as manuscripts and drawings) or 852$z (for resources issued in multiples, like printed books and engravings)
- All vault materials added to the collection receive a 6-digit accession number. The call numbers of most printed rare materials are based on the accession number. Items acquired before this practice may have four-digit accession numbers, case numbers, the name of a person, or a date.
- Case numbers are 4-digit numbers that go to the low 2000s. Record the number preceded by 'cs', no space. Example:
ǂe cs1493(a parallel series of case numbers from 1 through 128 have circles around them, and are referred to as "circle case" numbers. Use parentheses to indicate the circle. Example:
- Accession numbers 3001 through 7029 were assigned between October 1930 and the end of August 1938. (A previous version of these instructions incorrectly said "The books donated by Henry N. Paul were given 4-digit accession numbers in the 6xxx range" but in fact, the Paul donation received accession numbers 5921-6176, 6735-6858, and 6897-6900. Incorrect Henry N. Paul former owner access points may therefore be present in Hamnet).
- Separate the units of date-based accession numbers with a period. Example:
- 'F' or 'ac' usually precedes the six-digit accession number or accession date as written in the item. Record the 6-digit number only. Example
- If item in hand lacks a case or accession number, record
ǂe No case or accession number present
- In the case of framed art or other material where an accession number would be hidden, record
ǂe No case or accession number visible
For records created before November 2016, accession numbers may be found in MARC 852ǂj, 852ǂz, or 876ǂz
541 1_ ǂe 196314 ǂ5 DFo 541 1_ ǂ3 STC 17412 copy 1 ǂe cs452 ǂ5 DFo
- MARC bibliographic 541
- MARC bibliographic 541 in Cataloger's Desktop (Access limited to Folger staff)
- OCLC MARC Bibliographic 541
- Note signed "Roberta Harrison, Secretary in Charge of Accessions" at the end of that last used page in the register says "On September 27, 1938, the keeping of the accession book was discontinued by order of the Director, Dr. Joseph Q. Adams." The last number assigned had been on August 31.