MARC 506 Restrictions on Access Note
Revision as of 10:58, 6 October 2014 by DeborahLeslie (Added instruction for |x; corrected information about the flag)
MARC field 506 in the bibliographic and holdings formats contains information about restrictions imposed on access to the described materials.
First indicator - Restriction
1 - Restrictions apply
Second indicator - Undefined
‡a - Terms governing access ‡3 - Materials specified ‡5 - Institution to which field applies
Policy and formulation
- When an item has been designated as restricted, add an identical 506 field to both the bibliographic and holdings records for that item, using appropriate language based on the models below.
- Add a concise explanation of why items are restricted for the benefit of Reading Room staff in ‡x
- If there is more than one volume or more than one copy, identify which are the restricted items using ‡3 (materials specified).
- The field generates an "Access Advisory" label. Place a "Do not remove from shelf" flag in restricted materials, which can be obtained from a curator, writing the reason for restriction on the back of the flag.
- Legacy: restricted notes were formerly put in field 852 ‡z.
- Note: The following strings can be copied-and-pasted directly into Connexion
5061 RESTRICTED. Use microfilm. Original available by special permission only. ‡5 DFo 5061 RESTRICTED. Use digital reproduction. Original available by special permission only. ‡5 DFo 5061 RESTRICTED. Use digital reproduction or microfilm. Original available by special permission only. ‡5 DFo 5061 ‡3 copy 1 ‡a RESTRICTED. Available by special permission only. ‡x Unique issue ‡5 DFo