MARC 374 Occupation
MARC field 374 in the authority format contains information about profession or occupation in which a person works or has worked, including dates applicable. This field is repeatable.
ǂa Occupation (R) ǂs Start period (NR) ǂt End period (NR) ǂ2 Source of term (NR)
Policy and formulation
- Use specific terms (in contrast to broad terms preferred for field 372).
- Use whichever controlled vocabulary is most convenient for the cataloger.
- Use for actual professions or occupations; do not extend to non-occupational classes of persons or general descriptors.
- Use "authors" for authors of fiction, belle-lettres, freelance professionals, and others who are described as authors. Use a narrower term if that's what they're known for, such as poets or novelists
Controlled vocabularies for occupations
- LCSH ǂ2 lcsh
- Index terms for occupations in archival and manuscript collections (ITOAMC) ǂ2 itoamc
- Dictionary of Occupational Titles (US Dept of Labor) ǂ2 dot
- Occupations Thesaurus (National Library of Australia) ǂ2 raam