MARC 370 Associated Place
MARC field 370 in the authority format contains towns, cities, provinces, states, and/or countries associated with persons, corporate bodies, families, works, and expressions. This field is repeatable.
ǂa Place of birth (NR)
ǂb Place of death (NR)
ǂc Associated country (R)
ǂe Place of residence/headquarters (R)
ǂs Start period (NR)
ǂt End period (NR)
ǂ2 Source of term (NR)
Policy and formulation
- Use as many place names as are appropriate without regard to duplication of content.
370 Penshurst (England) ǂb London (England) ǂc Great Britain ǂc England ǂe Penshurst (England) ǂe London (England) ǂ2 naf
- Use the form of the place name as found in the 151 field of its NACO authority record (the main heading).
- Follow descriptive usage rules; that is, use the form of a place appropriate to the time period. The modern form of the place name may be added in repeatable subfields
370 ǂc Venice (Republic : to 1797) ǂc Italy ǂ2 naf
- Include the constituent countries of Great Britain in addition to "Great Britain" in ǂc. Do not include states, provinces, or territories of the U.S., Canada, or Australia.
370 ǂc Great Britain ǂc Wales ǂe Aberystwyth (Wales) ǂ2 naf
370 ǂc United States ǂe Clovis (Calif.) ǂ2 naf
- Neighborhood names may be used
370 Harrow (London, England) ǂc Great Britain ǂc England ǂe London (England) ǂ2 naf
- If the place name isn't established, as is usually the case with villages and estates, determine the modern form of the name (Google is great for this) and add it in a second 370 without ǂ2.
370 ǂb Budapest (Hungary) ǂc Romania ǂc Hungary ǂ2 naf
370 Krassószékás (Hungary)
370 Dresden (Germany) ǂb Berlin (Germany) ǂc Germany ǂe Berlin (Germany) ǂe Dresden (Germany) ǂe Leipzig (Germany) ǂ2 naf
370 ǂc Great Britain ǂc England ǂc Scotland ǂe London (England) ǂe Edinburgh (Scotland) ǂ2 naf
370 Naples (Italy) ǂb Vienna (Austria) ǂc Austria ǂc Czech Republic ǂc England ǂc Great Britain ǂc Spain ǂe Prague (Czech Republic) ǂe Vienna (Austria) ǂ2 naf