MARC 100 Heading Personal Name
MARC field 100 in the authority and bibliographic formats contains information on formulating a personal name used as a main entry in a bibliographic record. Since the same instructions apply for formulating access points of persons regardless of where it is used in a bibliographic record, this article covers MARC fields 600, 700, and 800.
First Indicator - Type of personal name entry element
0 - Forename 1 - Surname 3 - Family name
ǂa - Personal name (NR) ǂb - Numeration (NR) ǂc - Titles and words associated with a name (R) ǂd - Dates associated with a name (NR) ǂe - Relator term (R) ǂf - Date of a work (NR)
Policy and formulation
- The Folger participates in NACO, and thus follows RDA instructions as amended by the | Library of Congress/Program for Cooperative Cataloging Policy Statements (LC/PCC PSs). Information below contains summaries of national standards as well as local Folger practices.
Basic formulation of personal names
- In general, avoid creating unqualified personal name access points, even in the absence of a conflict. Use judgment, however, as some names may be unusual enough in themselves, so that the addition of active dates or a title or another designation would be superfluous.
- Example: Edward J. Geisweidt was established without any additional qualifications: he is the only Geisweidt in the name authority file, and with a middle initial, a conflict or ambiguity in identifying this person is highly unlikely.
- Add birth and/or death dates to the authorized access point whenever available. In the absence of a conflict, do not change an existing authority record solely to add dates. (However, closing out an open birth date is acceptable.)
- Make the following additions to the preferred name if applicable:
- title of royalty (see 126.96.36.199.1)
- title of nobility (see 188.8.131.52.2)
- title of religious rank (see 184.108.40.206.3)
- the term Saint (see 220.127.116.11.4)
- the term Spirit (see 18.104.22.168.5)
- an other designation associated with the person (see 22.214.171.124.6)
- Make the following additions to the preferred name in this order of preference, in case of conflict (RDA 126.96.36.199-7)
- Fuller form of name (RDA 188.8.131.52)
- Period of activity of the person and/or profession or occupation (RDA 184.108.40.206). Folger practice: in general, prefer century dates over specific years of activity, and over profession or occupation
- Other term of rank, honour, or office (RDA 220.127.116.11)
- New authority records: Folger practice: include 'Sir', etc., if the person used the title. LC practice/PCC practice. Unless otherwise changing an existing authorized access point (e.g., conflict), do not change an existing AACR2 or RDA heading merely to add or remove an Other designation associated with a person.
- Other designation (RDA 18.104.22.168)
- Existing authority records