Difference between revisions of "MARC 100 Heading Personal Name"
m (DeborahLeslie moved page MARC 100 - Heading - Personal Name to MARC 100 Heading - Personal Name: Regularize formatting)
m (DeborahLeslie moved page MARC 100 Heading - Personal Name to MARC 100 Heading Personal Name: Regularize formatting)
Revision as of 17:30, 21 January 2015
MARC field 100 in the authority and bibliographic formats contains information on formulating a personal name used as a main entry in a bibliographic record. Since the same instructions apply for formulating access points of persons regardless of where it is used in a bibliographic record, this article covers MARC fields 600, 700, and 800.
First Indicator - Type of personal name entry element
0 - Forename 1 - Surname 3 - Family name
ǂa - Personal name (NR) ǂb - Numeration (NR) ǂc - Titles and words associated with a name (R) ǂd - Dates associated with a name (NR) ǂe - Relator term (R) ǂf - Date of a work (NR)
Policy and formulation
- The Folger participates in NACO, and thus follows RDA instructions as amended by the | Library of Congress/Program for Cooperative Cataloging Policy Statements (LC/PCC PSs). Information below contains summaries of national standards as well as local Folger practices.
Basic formulation of personal names
- In general, avoid creating unqualified personal name access points, even in the absence of a conflict. Use judgment, however, as some names may be unusual enough in themselves, so that the addition of active dates or a title or another designation would be superfluous.
- Example: Edward J. Geisweidt was established without any additional qualifications: he is the only Geisweidt in the name authority file, and with a middle initial, a conflict or ambiguity in identifying this person is highly unlikely.
- Add birth and/or death dates to the authorized access point whenever available. In the absence of a conflict, do not change an existing authority record solely to add dates. (However, closing out an open birth date is acceptable.)
- Make the following additions to the preferred name if applicable:
- title of royalty (see 220.127.116.11.1)
- title of nobility (see 18.104.22.168.2)
- title of religious rank (see 22.214.171.124.3)
- the term Saint (see 126.96.36.199.4)
- the term Spirit (see 188.8.131.52.5)
- an other designation associated with the person (see 184.108.40.206.6)
- Make the following additions to the preferred name in this order of preference, in case of conflict (RDA 220.127.116.11-7)
- Fuller form of name (RDA 18.104.22.168)
- Period of activity of the person and/or profession or occupation (RDA 22.214.171.124). Folger practice: in general, prefer century dates over specific years of activity, and over profession or occupation
- Other term of rank, honour, or office (RDA 126.96.36.199)
- Other designation (RDA 188.8.131.52)