MARC 046 Special Coded Dates (Bibliographic)
MARC 21 field 046 in the bibliographic format contains date of item information that cannot be recorded in 008/06-14 (Type of date/Publication status, Date 1, Date 2). For our purposes, it will be used primarily when a transcribable date on a piece is incorrect and has been corrected in the 260ǂc, whether because of unintentional errors, deliberate attempts to mislead, or the date is of an original resource when you are cataloging a reproduction. Note: MARC field 046 Special Coded Dates also exists in the authority format, but is defined differently.
ǂa Type of date code = x for incorrect date ǂc Date 1 (C.E. date) ǂe Date 2 (C.E. date)
Policy and formulation
- When field 046 is used for incorrect dates, field 008/06 is coded for the type of corrected data and field 008/07-10 and 008/11-14 contain correct dates.
- Hamnet indexes the 008 and the 046 dates in the staff modules and the opac. See http://shakespeare.folger.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?BBID=180721
- OCLC Connexion does not index the 008 dates when an 046 exists. See #22479058
Single part/multi-part items complete in single year with an incorrect date, complete the fixed fields for the corrected date, and add the incorrect date from the resource in field 046.
- A work dated 1730 was actually printed in 1703
260 ǂc 1730 [i.e. 1703] DtSt s Dates 1703,#### 046##x ǂc 1730
- A painted portrait of Shakespeare inscribed 1611 is actually a fake
260 ǂc 1611 [i.e. 19th century] DtSt s Dates 18uu,#### 046##x ǂc 1611
- Multi-volume work published 1616-1619, but the first volume was misdated '1617'
260 ǂc 1617-1619 [i.e. 1616-1619] DtSt m Dates 1616,1619 046##x ǂc 1617
- Multi-volume work published 1616-1619, but the last volume was misdated '1618'
260 ǂc 1616-1618 [i.e. 1616-1619] DtSt m Dates 1616,1619 046####x ǂe 1618
- Facsimile reproduction published 1825-1828 of a multi-volume work carries only dates of the original, published 1616-1619
260 ǂc 1616-1618 [i.e. 1825-1828] DtSt m Dates 1825,1828 046##x ǂc 1616 ǂe 1619
- http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd046.html | MARC bibliographic 046]