MARC 046 Special Coded Dates (Authority)
MARC field 046 in the authority format contains information about dates that are associated with the entity described in the record.
ǂf - Birth date ǂg - Death date ǂk - Beginning or single date created ǂl - Ending date created ǂs - Start period ǂt - End period ǂu - Uniform Resource Identifier ǂv - Source of information ǂ2 - Source of date scheme
Policy and formulation
- Include readily-available date information in this field, even if that information is not used in the authorized access point.
- Firm (even if vague) dates do not need a ǂ2; it is assumed that the source is ISO 8601 (the international standard for dates and times).
- Uncertain dates are formulated according to the Extended Date/Time Format developed by the Library of Congress, and require
- In the absence of birth or death dates, record years of activity, if known. Do this even when an authorized access point is modified by an active century date. If years of activity are unknown, record the century in field 046
- 046 subfields do not have to be parallel; record each element with as much information as you have for that element
- If not absolutely confident/as compromise, put specific activity dates in 046 and "active Xth century" in 100 ‡d
046 ǂf 1490 ǂg 1556 1001 Sauffer, Gervas, ǂd 1490-1556
046 ǂf 1820 ǂg 18860530 1001 Dobrzański, Jan, ǂd 1820-1886
046 ǂs 1705 ǂt 1721 1001 Speed, Anne, ǂd active 18th century
046 ǂs 18 ǂt 19 1001 Stuart, Otho, ǂd active 19th century-20th century
046 ǂf [1615,1616] ǂg 1685 ǂ2 edtf 1001 Clifford, Anthony, ǂd 1615 or 1616-1685