MARC 040 Cataloging Source
MARC field 040 in the bibliographic format contains the MARC code for or the name of the organization(s) that created the original bibliographic record, assigned MARC content designation and transcribed the record into machine-readable form, or modified (except for the addition of holdings symbols) an existing MARC record. These data and the code in the 008/39 (Cataloging source) specify the parties responsible for the bibliographic record. This field is not repeatable.
ǂa Original cataloging agency (NR)
ǂb Language of cataloging (NR)
ǂcTranscribing agency (NR)
ǂd Modifying agency (R)
ǂe Description conventions (R)
Policy and formulation
When creating a new record, or adding a new description convention code (ǂe) to an existing record, order the subfields:
040 ǂa ǂb ǂe ǂc ǂd
- When using OCLC copy that has not been updated to meet this standard, it is not necessary to change it manually.
- The Folger MARC bibliographic code for organizations is DFo. The OCLC code is UXG. When creating a new master record in Connexion, change the supplied UXG in ǂa to DFo.
- When using RDA-compliant DCRM standards, ǂe rda precedes ǂe dcrmx
040 DFo ǂb eng ǂe rda ǂe dcrmb ǂc UXG ǂd
- MARC Bibliographic 040
- MARC Bibliographic 040 in Cataloger's Desktop (Access limited to Folger staff)
- OCLC MARC Bibliographic 040