List of reference sources of use in cataloging
This article lists resources catalogers will find useful for bibliographical and biographical reference.
- WorldCat indexes for command line searching in Connexion
- Guide for creating records in multiple character sets (PCC)
- Externally-created macro dictionaries
Library and union catalogs
- British Library catalogue
- Copac (union catalogues of ~90 major UK and Irish libraries)
- Heritage of the Printed Book (by license)
- Library of Congress online catalog
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs
Sources for librarianship
- Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Books)
- Examples to Accompany Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Books)
- Standard Citation Forms for Rare Materials Cataloging
- Directory of web resources for the rare materials cataloger
- DCRM-L Archives
- Etherington & Roberts. Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books : A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology.
- Rietz, Joan M. Online Dictionary for Library and Information Science
Material description / provenance
- British armorial bindings, University of Toronto
- Can you help? Identifying provenance evidence (Consortium of European Reseaerch Libraries)
- Folger armorial bindings (Oldfield's list) (Word doc)
- Language of Bindings (Ligatus)
- Medieval and early modern manuscripts: bookbinding terms, materials, methods, and models (Special Collections Conservation Unit of the Preservation Department of Yale University Library) (PDF doc)
- Print Council Index to Oeuvre-Catalogues of Prints by European and American Artists
- Hollstein and New Hollstein (need to add bibliographic info)
- Illustrated Bartsch (not at Folger; need to add bibliographic info)
- Biography resource center (Gale)
- Biographie universelle ancienne et moderne, 2nd ed.
- CT143.M5 1880 Deck A Ref
- LC/NACO Authority File
- Nouvelle biographie generale depuis les temps les plus reculees jusqu'a nos jours, 1854-66
- RR-Ref: CT143 .H5
- Virtual International Authority File
- source is found in field 001 and in a column on the results screen
Actors and other theater folk
- Harvard Theatre Collection. Catalogue of dramatic portraits in the Theatre Collection of the Harvard College Library. (charged to Cat. Office)
- Highfill, Philip H. A biographical dictionary of actors, actresses, musicians, dancers, managers & other stage personnel in London, 1660-1800
- RR Ref PN2597.H5 Copy 1; copy 2 on Deck B
- London stage 1660-1800
- Wearing, J.P. American and British theatrical biography
- PN2285.W42 1979
- Who's who in the theatre
- PN2012.W5 (recent editions in RR)
- 4th ed. (1922) in Art Dept. PN2012.W5
- Who's who on the stage, 1908 (American)
Artists, printmakers, print publishers
- Bénézit, E. Dictionary of artists
- Deck A-Ref. N40 .B4713 2006 [Collection Description Office]
- Engen, Rodney K. Dictionary of Victorian wood engravers
- DeckB-Open. NE1143 .E5
- Houfe, Simon. Dictionary of British book illustrators and caricaturists, 1800-1914
- DeckA-Art Curator NC978 .H7 Art Dept. [Collection Description Office]
- Wood, Christopher. Dictionary of Victorian painters.
- DeckA-Art Curator ND467 .W6 1978 Art Dept. [Collection Description Office]
- British Museum name authority file
- (pick "People" from the "Category" drop-down)
- Union List of Artist Names online (Getty Research Institute)
- Rijksbureau voor Kunsthistorische Documentatie/Netherlands Institute for Art History
Booksellers, printers, book publishers
- British Book Trade Index
- Exeter Working Papers in Book History
- London Book Trades (Michael Turner)
- Scottish Book Trade Index
- Stationers' register, 1554-1640 (HathiTrust)
- Stationers' register, 1640-1708 (HathiTrust)
- Brown, P.A.H. London publishers and printers c. 1800-1870
- DeckB-Mod Z152.L8 B7 [checked out to Cat. Office indefinitely]
- Morgan, Paul, ed. Warwickshire printers' notices 1799-1866
- Deck B-Mod DA670.W3 D88 v.28
- Plomer, H.R. Dictionary of the booksellers and printers, 1641-1667
- Plomer, H.R. Dictionary of the booksellers and printers, 1668-1725
- via Hathi Trust
- Plomer, H. A dictionary of the booksellers and printers who were at work in England, Scotland, and Ireland, 1641-1775 (3 v.)
- Deck A-Cat Z151.D52-54
- Catalogue of books printed on the continent of Europe, 1501-1600 in Cambridge libraries (2 v.)
- Z921.C15 Cat. Off. Index of printers in v. 2.
- Dictionnaire des imprimeurs-lithographes du XIXe siècle
- Répertoire d’imprimeurs/libraires (vers 1500-vers 1800)
- Z695.1.P4 B54 2004 Cat. Dept. (folio)
- Cosenza, M.E. Biographical and bibliographical dictionary of the Italian printers, and of foreign printers in Italy from the introduction of the art of printing into Italy to 1800.
- Grove music online
- via link to New Grove dictionary of music and musicians on Amherst databases; comprises the New Grove dictionary of music, New Grove dictionary of opera, and New Grove dictionary of jazz
- The new Grove dictionary of music and musicians, 1980
- ML100.N4 R.R.
- American national biography (Online), c2000
- Dictionary of American biography, 1928-1958
- RR-Ref: E176 .D56 R.R.
- Who was who in America
- Deck A-Ref. E663 .W55
British and Irish
- Cambridge Alumni Database (1200-1900) (experimental as of Feb. 2020)
- Alumni cantabrigienses
- Print version: LF124 .A2 1900a Part 1 (to 1751) in Cataloging Office; Part 1 & 2 (1751-1900) in Reading Room.
- Only pt.1 v.1 (Abbas-Cutts) is full-text in Hathi Trust as of Feb. 2020
- Athenae cantabrigienses. By Charles Henry Cooper, and Thompson Cooper.
- Hathi Trust (full-text)
- Print version: LF125 .C7 Cat.Off.
- Biographical register of Christ's college, 1505-1905, and of the earlier foundation, God's house, 1448-1505
- Hathi Trust (full-text)
- Print version: LF144.A3 P4 Cat.
- Alumni dublinenses, a register of the students, graduates, professors and provosts of Trinity college in the University of Dublin (1593-1860)
- Hathi Trust (search-only as of Feb. 2020)
- Print version: LF904.A2 A3 1593-1860 Cat.
- Dulwich College register: 1619 to 1926
- Hathi Trust (search-only as of Feb. 2020)
- Print version: LF795.D84 A3 Cat. Dept.
- Eton college register, 1441-1698
- Hathi Trust (search-only as of Feb. 2020)
- Print version: LF795.E83 A3 1943 Cat
- Alumni Oxonienses, 1500-1714
- Alumni Oxonienses 1500-1714, (British History Online; by license)
- Print version: LF524 .A22 1500–1714a copy 2 Cat. Dept.
- Betham, William. The baronetage of England, or, The history of the English baronets, and such baronets of Scotland, as are of English families
- CS424 .B56 Cage, v.1-5
- Bibliography of British and Irish History (Brepolis)
- Burke's genealogical and heraldic history of the landed gentry, 1847
- Harvard copy digitized 2007: http://books.google.com/books?id=YdIKAAAAYAAJ
- (There are also print versions of these in the Cataloging Office)
- Cokayne, George E. The complete peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom
- CS421 .C71 R.R
- Cokayne, George E. Complete baronetage, 1900-1909
- CS424 .C6
- English Book Owners in the Seventeenth Century
- Oxford dictionary of national biography, 2004-
- Victoria history of the counties of England
- in New Reading Room, DA670.1, arranged alphabetically by county
- Who was who
- Deck A-Ref. DA28 .W65
- Dictionnaire de biographie française, 1933-; up to v. 19 (La Valĺe) only.
- CT143.D5 RR-Ref
- Allgemeine deutsche Biographie & Neue deutsche Biographie
- RR Desk: CD-Rom 42; index to the print ADB and NDB
- Allgemeine deutsche Biographie, 1875-1912
- CT1053 .A5 Deck A Ref.
- Neue deutsche Biographie, 1956-,
- CT1053 .N5 Deck A Ref.
- Magyar írók élete és munkái, 1891-1914
- Clavis Typographorum Regionis Carpathicae - "a database for printing and publishing that includes all data of printing houses and publishers working in the actual territory of the Hungarian state from the beginnings of local printing in 1473 to its nationalisation in 1948."
- Internetowy Polski słownik biograficzny (iPSB) [online version of the Polish Biographical Dictionary - may be incomplete]
- Early English Books Online (EEBO) (Access limited by licensing agreements)
- Eighteenth-Century Book Tracker (Benjamin Pauley)
- Eighteenth-Century Collections Online (ECCO) (Access limited by licensing agreements)
- Library Hub Discover (formerly Copac) (union catalogues of ~90 major UK and Irish libraries)
- English Short-Title Catalogue
- Libri Walliae: a catalogue of Welsh books and books printed in Wales 1546-1820.
- Folger call number Z2071 .R4
- Cite as: Rees, E. Libri Walliae
- Libri Walliae: a catalogue of Welsh books and books printed in Wales 1546-1820. Supplement.
- Folger call number: title requested
- Cite as: Parry, C. Libri Walliae (supplement)
- Surreptitious printing in England, 1550-1640
- Electronic version
- Folger call number (hard copy version): Z1065 .W6
- Cite as Woodfield, D.B. Surreptitious printing in England, 1550-1640
- English broadsides, 1505-1897
- Z2027.B8 L6
- Cite as: Crawford, J.L.L. Bibliotheca Lindesiana. Catalogue of English broadsides
- Tudor and Stuart proclamations
- DA310.C725 Cat office
- Cite as: Crawford, J.L.L. Bibliography of royal proclamations of the Tudor and Stuart sovereigns and of others published under authority, 1485-1714, ǂc I,
- Heritage of the Printed Book Database
- Gesamtkatalog der Wiegendrucke (English) Union catalog of incunables
- ISTC (Incunabula Short-Title Catalogue)
- Karlsruher Virtueller Katalog
- Munich DigitiZation Center (BSB)
- USTC (Universal Short-Title Catalogue) European books to 1600
- Filipovič, Rudolf. "Shakespeare in Croatia: an annotated bibliography," via HRČAK (portal of Croatian scientific and professional journals)
- Deutsche Drucke des Barock 1600-1720 in der Herzog August Bibliothek Wolfenbüttel
- Reproduced title pages with minimal bibliographic information
- Z929.W6 (folio)
- VD 16
- VD 17
- Yale Collection of German Literature. German Baroque literature
- Catalogo Colectivo del Patrimonio Bibliografico Espanol
- Iberian Book Project
- Iberian books: books published in Spanish or Portuguese or on the Iberian Peninsula before 1601 (IB16). Z2682.I24 2010 copy 2 Deck A Ref
- Palau y Dulcet. Manual del librero hispano-americano (2. ed.). Z2681 .P26 Deck A Ref
- Clubb, L.G. Italian plays (1500-1700) in the Folger Library. Z881.F6 copy 3 Acq. Dept.
- EDIT 16
- Florio's 1611 Italian/English dictionary
- Slavic Cataloging Manual (version 2.0, released 2016 by the ACRL Slavic & East European Section)
- Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- RBMS Controlled Vocabularies
- RBMS Relationship Designators
- Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms
- Library of Congress Thesaurus for Graphic Materials
- Ligatus Language of Bindings
- PCC Training Manual for Applying Relationship Designators in Bibliographic Records (2015-01-22)
- Thesaurus of Ephemera Terms
- Notaker, H. Printed cookbooks in Europe, 1470-1700
- Z5776.G2 N69 2010
- French, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese books of devices and emblems 1534-1827
- PN6349.Z9 L31
- Cite as: Landwehr, J. French, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese books of devices and emblems 1534-1827
Geographic place names
- Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1963.
- Deck A MSS Ref.
- USGS Geographic Names Information System
- Watts, Victor, ed. The Cambridge Dictionary of English Place-Names, 2004.
- Deck A MSS Ref.
- British botanical and horticultural literature before 1800
- Z5352 .H3 Deck A Ref.
- Cite as: Henrey, B. British botanical and horticultural literature before 1800
- Tudor and Stuart proclamations, 1485-1714
- DA310 .C725 copy 2 (folio) Cat. Dept.
- Cite as: Crawford, J.L.L. Royal proclamations, 1485-1714
- Klokan Bounding Box (creates copy-and-paste coordinates for MARC 034 Coded Cartographic Mathematical Data)
- Map History / History of Cartography
Modern materials cataloging
Material-specific cataloging resources
- DVD Video and Blu-ray Discs
- Music Cataloging Best Practices (MLA)
- Screenplays (Lilly Library)
- Serials (CONSER)
- Drama on the world stage: prompt books [non-Shakespeare] and performance records. Series 1, The Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington, D.C. : an inventory to the Research Publications microform collection.
- Harvard Theatre Collection. "Shakespeare promptbooks in the Harvard Theatre Collection." In Harvard Library Bulletin, v. 35, no. 1 (Winter 1987).
- Langhans, Edward A. Eighteenth century British and Irish promptbooks. .
- Shakespearean prompt-books of the seventeenth century. Ed. G. Blakemore Evans.
- Shattuck, Charles Harlen. The Shakespeare promptbooks: a descriptive catalogue.
- Halliwell-Phillipps, J.O. Some account of the antiquities, coins, manuscripts, rare books, ancient documents, and other reliques illustrative of the life and works of Shakespeare
- PR2933.H3H18 copy 2 Ms.Off.
- Blinn, Hansjürgen & Wolf Gerhard Schmidt. Shakespeare-deutsch: Bibliographie der Übersetzungen und Bearbeitungen. 2003
- PR2971.G3 B57 2003
- See also the Folgerpedia supplement to this work
- Langhans, E.A. Eighteenth century British and Irish promptbooks, 1987
- PN2593 L2 copy 2, charged to Cataloging Dept
- Oxford companion to the theatre
- PN2035 .H3 1983 RR
- Shattuck, C.H. The Shakespeare promptbooks, 1965
- PR3091 .S4 copy 6 Cat. Dept.
- Bibliography of English poetical miscellanies, 1521-1750
- Z2014.P7 C3 Copy 1 Cat. Dept.
- Cite as: Case, A.E. Bibliography of English poetical miscellanies, 1521-1750
- Catalogue of a collection of English ballads of the XVIIth and XVIIIth centuries
- Z2014.B2 L7
- Cite as: Crawford, J.L.L. Bibliotheca Lindesiana. Catalogue of a collection of English ballads
- English verse, 1701-1750
- Z2014.P7 F6 copy 2 Cat. Dept.
- Cite as: Foxon, D.F. English verse, 1701-1750