List of reference sources of use in cataloging
This article lists resources catalogers will find useful for bibliographical and biographical reference.
Library and union catalogs
- English Short-Title Catalogue
- Library of Congress online catalog
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs
Sources for librarianship
- Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Books)
- Examples to Accompany Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Books)
- Standard Citation Forms for Rare Materials Cataloging
- Directory of web resources for the rare materials cataloger
- DCRM-L Archives
- Etherington & Roberts. Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books : A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology.
- Rietz, Joan M. Online Dictionary for Library and Information Science
Material description / provenance
- British armorial bindings, University of Toronto
- Can you help? Identifying provenance evidence (Consortium of European Reseaerch Libraries)
- Folger armorial bindings (Oldfield's list)
- Print Council Index to Oeuvre-Catalogues of Prints by European and American Artists
- Hollstein and New Hollstein (need to add bibliographic info)
- Illustrated Bartsch (not at Folger; need to add bibliographic info)
- Biography resource center (Gale)
- Biographie universelle ancienne et moderne, 2nd ed.
- CT143.M5 1880 Deck A Ref
- Library of Congress Authority File
- Nouvelle biographie generale depuis les temps les plus reculees jusqu'a nos jours, 1854-66
- RR-Ref: CT143 .H5
- Virtual International Authority File
- source is found in field 001 and in a column on the results screen
Actors and other theater folk
- Harvard Theatre Collection. Catalogue of dramatic portraits in the Theatre Collection of the Harvard College Library. (charged to Cat. Office)
- Highfill, Philip H. A biographical dictionary of actors, actresses, musicians, dancers, managers & other stage personnel in London, 1660-1800
- RR Ref PN2597.H5 Copy 1; copy 2 on Deck B
- Wearing, J.P. American and British theatrical biography
- PN2285.W42 1979
- Who's who in the theatre
- PN2012.W5 (recent editions in RR)
- 4th ed. (1922) in Art Dept. PN2012.W5
- Who's who on the stage, 1908 (American)
Artists, printmakers, print publishers
- Bénézit, E. Dictionary of artists
- Deck A-Ref. N40 .B4713 2006
- British Museum name authority file
- (pick "People" from the "Category" drop-down)
- Getty Union list of artists' name online
Booksellers, printers, book publishers
- British Book Trade Index
- Exeter Working Papers in British Book Trade History
- London Book Trades (Michael Turner)
- Plomer, H.R. Dict. of the booksellers and printers, 1641-1667
- via Google Books
- Plomer, H. A dictionary of the booksellers and printers who were at work in England, Scotland, and Ireland, 1641-1775 (3 v.)
- Deck A-Cat Z151.D52-54
- Scottish Book Trade Index
- Catalogue of books printed on the continent of Europe, 1501-1600 in Cambridge libraries (2 v.)
- Z921.C15 Cat. Off. Index of printers in v. 2.
- Grove music online
- via link to New Grove dictionary of music and musicians on Amherst databases; comprises the New Grove dictionary of music, New Grove dictionary of opera, and New Grove dictionary of jazz
- The new Grove dictionary of music and musicians, 1980
- ML100.N4 R.R.
- American national biography (Online), c2000
- Dictionary of American biography, 1928-1958
- RR-Ref: E176 .D56 R.R.
- Who was who in America
- Deck A-Ref. E663 .W55
- Alumni Cantabrigienses
- LF124 .A2 1900a Part 1 (to 1751) in Cataloging Office; Part 1 & 2 (1751-1900) in Reading Room.
- Alumni Oxonienses, covering 1500-1714, 1968 Kraus reprint.
- LF524 .A22 1500- 1714a Copy2 Cat.Dept.
- Betham, William. The baronetage of England, or, The history of the English baronets, and such baronets of Scotland, as are of English families
- CS424 .B56 Cage, v.1-5
- Bibliography of British and Irish History (Brepolis)
- Burke's genealogical and heraldic history of the landed gentry, 1847
- Harvard copy digitized 2007: http://books.google.com/books?id=YdIKAAAAYAAJ
- (There are also print versions of these in the Cataloging Office)
- Cokayne, George E. The complete peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom
- CS421 .C71 R.R
- Cokayne, George E. Complete baronetage, 1900-1909
- CS424 .C6
- English Book Owners in the Seventeenth Century
- Oxford dictionary of national biography, 2004-
- Victoria history of the counties of England
- in New Reading Room, DA670.1, arranged alphabetically by county
- Who was who
- Deck A-Ref. DA28 .W65
- Dictionnaire de biographie française, 1933-; up to v. 19 (La Valĺe) only.
- CT143.D5 RR-Ref
- Allgemeine deutsche Biographie & Neue deutsche Biographie
- RR Desk: CD-Rom 42; index to the print ADB and NDB
- Allgemeine deutsche Biographie, 1875-1912
- CT1053 .A5 Deck A Ref.
- Neue deutsche Biographie, 1956-,
- CT1053 .N5 Deck A Ref.
- Internetowy Polski słownik biograficzny (iPSB) [online version of the Polish Biographical Dictionary - may be incomplete]
- Catalogue of English broadsides, 1505-1897
- Z2027.B8 L6
- Cite as: Crawford, J.L.L. Engl. broadsides
- ISTC (Incunabula Short-Title Catalogue)
- USTC (Universal Short-Title Catalogue), 15th-16th century
- Karlsruher Virtueller Katalog
- BSB (Die Bayerische StaatsBibliothek)
- Portal to VD16, VD17, other resources for early printed materials
- Clubb, L.G. Italian plays (1500-1700) in the Folger Library. Z881 .F6 Copy3 Acq. Dept.
- Cosenza, M.E. Biographical and bibliographical dictionary of the Italian printers, and of foreign printers in Italy from the introduction of the art of printing into Italy to 1800. Z155 .C6 (Cataloging Office)
- EDIT 16
- RBMS Controlled Vocabularies
- RBMS Relationship Designators
- Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- LC Thesaurus for Graphic Materials
Geographic place names
- Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1963.
- Deck A MSS Ref.
- USGS Geographic Names Information System
- Watts, Victor, ed. The Cambridge Dictionary of English Place-Names, 2004.
- Deck A MSS Ref.
- British botanical and horticultural literature before 1800
- Z5352 .H3 Deck A Ref.
- Cite as: Henrey, B. Brit. botanical lit.
- Tudor and Stuart proclamations, 1485-1714
- DA310 .C725 copy 2 Cat. Dept.
- Cite as: Crawford, J.L.L. Royal proclamations, 1485-1714
Modern materials cataloging
General cataloging resources
- CONSER cheat sheet
- WorldCat indexes for command line searching in Connexion
- Dictionary of Abbreviations Commonly Used by German and Italian Antiquarian Booksellers and Auctioneers
- AV & Nonprint Glossary (OLAC)
- OLAC Guide to Cataloging DVDs in AACR2 (outdated but helpful)
- MLA Best Practices for Music Cataloging (as of February 2014)
- MARC relator terms
- Cataloging screenplays in RDA (Lilly Library)
- Guide for creating records in multiple character sets (PCC)
Externally-created macro dictionaries
- Langhans, E.A. Eighteenth century British and Irish promptbooks, 1987
- PN2593 L2 copy 2, charged to Cataloging Dept
- Oxford companion to the theatre
- PN2035 .H3 1983 RR
- Shattuck, C.H. The Shakespeare promptbooks, 1965
- PR3091 .S4 copy 6 Cat. Dept.
- Bibliography of English poetical miscellanies, 1521-1750
- Z2014.P7 C3 Copy 1 Cat. Dept.
- Cite as: Case, A.E. Poetical miscellanies
- Catalogue of a collection of English ballads of the XVIIth and XVIIIth centuries
- Z2014.B2 L7
- Cite as: Crawford, J.L.L. Engl. ballads
- English verse, 1701-1750
- Z2014.P7 F6 copy 2 Cat. Dept.
- Cite as: Foxon