How to change holdings locations in Voyager
|This article is currently a draft.|
There are several ways to change the "Location" display in catalog records. Which one you pick will depend on how many records are involved, whether or not the items have been barcoded, and whether or not additional changes need to be made. The cataloging module contains a code for each location. The way it displays in other modules and in Hamnet is controlled through the System Administration module.
Location codes exist in up to three places in the Cataloging module:
- Bibliographic record (suppressed from public display; it's part of the MARC 852 Location field that gets copied from the Holdings record to the Bib record so that it will be keyword searchable there)
- Holdings record, subfield b of the MARC 852 Location field.
- Item record, if present (all open-stacks material has item records: that's where the barcode is stored; vault material acquired after the primary subject category began to be recorded as an Item Statistical Category also has item records).
Changing one record at a time
If you only have a few records that need changing, it's easiest to do it "by hand" in the Cataloging module.
- First make sure that the Options > Preferences > Workflow tab has check-marks next to the last three choices (see "Setting preferences in Voyager" for the full list of required and suggested settings).
- Search for and open the correct Bib record
- Open the associated Holdings record (go Ctrl-r or click the "Get Hldgs" button)
- Find the 852$b and type in the new location code, replacing the old one (see the ǂb Sublocation or collection section of the Folgerpedia article about MARC 852 Location for a list of the most common ones)
- Save the Holdings record to the database (go Ctrl-b or click the "Save to DB" button, the one with the sailboat, hence "Boat it" to mean "save to database")
- Go back to the Bib record (go Ctrl-j or click the "Get Bib" button)
- Change the location code in the 852$b to match what you have in the 852$b of the Holding record
- Save the Bib record to the database (go Ctrl-b or click the "Save to DB" button)
- Close the Bib and Holdings records (go Alt > f > c to close the current record; go Alt > f > o to close all open records)
- Alternatively: instead of saving and closing each record in two steps, go Ctrl-q to "Save Record to Database and Close"