FromThePage transcription conventions
- Used for expansions. The original text--which can include tagged and/or unicode characters--goes between the tags, and the expanded text--which cannot include any tags--goes in an expan attribute.
- Used for intralineally inserted text, often written above crossed out text.
in a stew pan ^ <add>over a stove</add>
- Used for catchwords in the text.
- Used for text that has been cancelled or crossed out. Illegible letters can be replaced by periods.
- Used for figures, drawings, horizontal lines, etc.
<fig>Three small horizontal stems with flowers and buds; left is red and blue, middle is red, right is red and blue.</fig>
- Used for a gap in the transcription for reasons other than deletion (e.g. due to damage to the page). Illegible letters can be replaced by periods.
- Used for obvious headings.
- Used for any kind of marginal note, including footnotes, glosses, or summaries.
- Soft break
- Used for words that break across a line.
to your tast; put into euery Bott<lb break="no">=</lb> ell a peece of Lemmon Pill
- Used for superscript text.
- Used for text added at the custodial stage, by booksellers, librarians, etc. This tag is not used for text added later by the author(s) or by contemporary readers.
<supplied>Received 12-31-53 order no.B529</supplied>
- Used for uncertain text. Transcriber should enter their best guess, with the option to replace individual letters with periods.
<unclear>a chicin P</unclear>
Common abbreviations and expansions
- -r/-er, as in "Remember": expand "e," silently lower "r"
|Dromio tag||FromThePage tag||Used for|
|add||supplied||text added later, at the custodial stage|
|brev-p||p<expan>re</expan> (etc.)||special p|
|del||del||cancelled or crossed out text|
|gap||gap||gap in text due to damage, etc.|
|macron||do not tag||macrons or tildes above characters|
|metamark||do not transcribe||metamarks|
|note||use notes box below the transcription field||transcribers' notes|
|sl||do not tag||superscript text to be silently lowered|
|sup||sup||superscript text not to be lowered|
|unclear||unclear||unclear or uncertain text|