English short title catalogue
The English Short-Title Catalogue, or ESTC, is a "comprehensive, international union catalogue listing early books, serials, newspapers and selected ephemera printed before 1801. It contains catalogue entries for items issued in Britain, Ireland, overseas territories under British colonial rule, and the United States. Also included is material printed elsewhere which contains significant text in English, Welsh, Irish or Gaelic, as well as any book falsely claiming to have been printed in Britain or its territories. The database contains over 480,000 entries, and represents the holdings of some 2,000 libraries world-wide."
ESTC and Hamnet
|This section is currently a draft.|
The ESTC started life as the "Eighteenth-Century Short-Title Catalogue," following the pattern of abbreviated short title catalogs established in print by Pollard & Redgrave covering 1473-1640, and Donald Wing for 1641-1700. The editorial center at the British Library recataloged its 18th-century holdings according to the Green Rules. The North American editorial center solicited reports from American libraries. ESTC/NA created new records and matched holdings from these reports. ESTC numbers for 18th-century records created by the British Library are prefaced with a 'T'; those created by the North American office begin with an 'N'.
The Folger was an important early contributor to the project. There were a number of ways libraries reported their holdings to the ESTC; the Folger chose to send photocopied title pages with bibliographic information attached.
STC and Wing phases
The Folger's ESTC Project
Matching to the ESTC
The Folger collection of in-scope holdings are intended to be completely represented in the ESTC. Pre-1701 and some 18th-century holdings were added to the ESTC database by Folger catalogers. Most 18th-century holdings were added by ESTC staff based on Folger reports to the North American editorial center during the initial, 18th-century phase of the project (approximately 1980-1990). Our intention is to have all Folger holdings in the ESTC either added or updated by Folger catalogers.
Eighteenth-century Folger holdings are included in the ESTC, having earlier been added by ESTC North American staff working from Folger reports. In the interests of focusing grant-funded time and labor on item-in-hand descriptive recataloging, confirmation and augmentation of the ESTC was quickly dropped from the NEH ShCol grant project as something that could be done later by Folger staff. These procedures outline that process.
- The pool of applicable records can be obtained by doing a builder search in the cataloging module:
cms? in Holdings Record NOT estc in Holdings Record
- Do this exact search (initial number retrieved 826)
- Read the notes in the bibliographic record
- If the ESTC is mentioned in any note aside from the 510 "Cited in" field, add the Voyager record id to the table below and move to the next record
- If it seems straightforward, copy the ESTC number from the bibliographic record and switch to the ESTC
- Open the ESTC XML interface
- The Senior Cataloger for English materials can supply the link
- It is confidential; do not give out the link location to anyone for any reason
- Paste the copied ESTC number into the ESTC IDs search box
- Find the Folger holding(s), which will be prefaced by
nDFo(the libraries are alphabetized by MARC Organizational code within these categories):
- British libraries (prefix 'b')
- European libraries (prefix 'e')
- North American libraries (preface 'n')
- Other regions (prefix 'o')
- Select the Folger holding and examine the information carefully
- Is the call number correct? Is there a space after the hyphen in an accession call number? Does it have "Sh.Col." or "Cage" at the end? Are the elements in the proper order and formatted correctly? If not, please correct.
- Are the copy-specific notes
852 ǂzfrom the Hamnet holdings record in the ESTC holdings record? If not, please copy-and-paste from Hamnet. Notes having to do with the completeness, readability, or other physical aspects of the book go into box
7a.Everything else goes into
- Save the holdings record by selecting the
Update button.Close the window
- Does each Folger copy attached to the bibliographic record have a corresponding holding in the ESTC? If not, please add new holdings as needed by selecting the
Add holdingbutton at the top of the window.
Back to Hamnet
- Open the holdings record for each copy that has been confirmed in the ESTC and update the
852 ǂxby appending the following information to the existing string:
estc [cataloger's initials] [yeardate]
- Copy field 852 and replace the 852 in the bibliographic record ???