Dromio shortcuts and workarounds
A list of tags, special characters, and other shortcuts to copy and paste into transcriptions.
Text of the manuscript
- Deletion: include deleted text if still legible, or replace an estimated number of deleted letters with periods (...)
- Insertion: for intralineal insertion text (often written above crossed out text)
- Gap: replace missing letters with periods (...)
- Unclear: enter a best guess, replacing illegible letters with periods (...)
- Metamark: enter a one-work description of mark (strive for consistency)
- Image: enter a one-work description of mark (strive for consistency)
Layout and non-textual elements
- Page break: for two or more pages in one image
- Catchword: for word or words repeated on bottom of page/top of next page
- Heading: for obvious headings
- Label: for labels in the margins
- Postscript: for postscript text in letters (Do not forgetteth to write)
- Opening: for opening text in letters (To my most lovinge husband)
- Closing: for closing text in letters (To my most lovinge husband)
- Addition: for text added much later by booksellers, library staff, etc.
- Note: for notes from the transcriber, at the end of the text file
Content of the manuscript
- Name: for proper names (non-fictional)
- Place: for identified places
- Amount: for specific monetary amounts (include numeral and currency symbol)
- Superscript: for superscript text, not interlineal insertions, that should remain superscript to understand the meaning
- Silently lowered: for superscript text to be lowered as per semi-diplomatic convention
- Macron: the following letter(s) should be expanded
- Thorn letter: looks like "y," transcribed as "th"
- es graph
- er graph: transcribed as "er," or ar/or/re
- Special p: following two letters should be expanded text, "pre," "pro," "par," or "per"
- ℥:Symbol for ounce
- ʒ:Symbol for dram
- ℈:Symbol for scruple
- ♃:Symbol for Jupiter, used for Rx
Common abbreviations and expansions
- period metamark
- ā/ana, used by Ward in prescriptions
- -r./-er, as in "Remember": expand "e," silently lower "r," period metamark
Tips and Tricks
- To enter names, places, or amounts that span more than one line, enter the tags by hand rather than using Dromio's shortcut buttons. Do this in the HTML view, then toggle over the the XML view and back to the HTML view.