Center for the History of British Political Thought programs
This article is the archive of past programs sponsored by the Folger Institute's Center for the History of British Political Thought.
- A Spring Semester Seminar directed by Gordon Schochet, 1984.
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by John Guy with guest lecturers Geoffrey Elton, Alistair Fox, Richard Marius, Arthur J. Slavin, and David Starkey, 1984.
- A Spring Semester Seminar directed by Donald R. Kelley with guest lecturers Charles Gray, J.H. Hexter, Louis Knafla, Brian Levack, and Brian Tierney, 1985.
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by William Lamont with guest lecturers Robin Clifton, Partick Collinson, Anthony Fletcher, John Morrill, Linda Levy Peck, Barbara Taft, and Austin Woolrych, 1985.
- A Spring Semester Seminar directed by Howard A. Nenner with guest lecturers Richard Ashcroft, Henry Horwitz, Mark Kishlansky, Annabel Patterson, J.G.A. Pocock, Gordon J. Schochet, and Lois G. Schwoerer, 1986.
Politics and Politeness: British Political Thought in the Age of Walpole.
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by N.T. Phillipson with guest speakers including Linda Colley, Mark Goldie, J.A.W. Gunn, Istvan Hont, Thomas Horne, Simon Varey, and John Yolton, 1986.
Political Thought in the English-Speaking Atlantic.
- A Spring Semester Seminar directed by J.G.A. Pocock with guest lecturers J.H. Burns, Istvan Hont, J.R. Pole, and R.K. Webb, 1987.
Property, Power, and Politics.
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by Arthur Slavin, 1987.
- A Spring Semester Seminar directed by Linda Levy Peck, 1988.
The Glorious Revolution.
- A Spring Semester Seminar directed by Lois Schwoerer, 1989.
Political Thought in the English Speaking World, 1485–1793.
- A Year-Long Seminar directed by J.G.A. Pocock, Lois Schwoerer, and Gordon Schochet, 1989-1990.
Preachers, Petitioners, and Prophets.
- A Late-Spring Semester Seminar directed by Esther Cope, 1990.
England's Wars of Religion, 1625–1649.
- A Spring Conference directed by John Morrill, 1990.
Scots and Britons: Scottish Political thought and the Union of 1603.
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by Roger A. Mason, 1990.
Union, State, and Empire: The Political Identities of Britain, 1688–1750.
- A Late-Spring Semester Seminar directed by John Robertson, 1991.
Partisan Culture in an Age of Revolution: England, 1649–1689.
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by Derek Hirst and Steven Zwicker, 1991.
Empire, Confederation, and Republic: From Atlantic Dominion to American Union.
- A Spring Semester Seminar directed by J.G.A. Pocock, 1992.
English Parliamentary Culture to 1689.
- A Late-Spring Workshop directed by John Guy and Linda Levy Peck, 1992.
The Politics of the Ancient Constitution: British Political Thought in the Early Seventeenth Century.
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by Glen Burgess, 1992.
Women, Politics, and Political Thought in Tudor and Stuart England.
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by Barbara J. Harris, 1993.
"A Presse Full of Pamphlets:" Books as Events, 1632–1660.
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by Michael Mendle with visiting speakers Phyllis Mack and Steven Zwicker, 1994.
Political Women/Political Writings: Early Modern Britain in a European Context.
- A Spring Conference directed by Hilda Smith, 1995.
Text and Conquest: Political Ideology in Ireland, 1570–1630.
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by Hiram Morgan with visiting lecturers Brendan Bradshaw, Ciaran Brady, Nicholas Canny and Colm Lennon, 1995.
From Darcy to Molyneux: Political Thought in Seventeenth-Century Ireland.
- A Late-Spring Seminar directed by Jane Ohlmeyer with visiting speakers David Armitage, Aidan Clarke, Bernadette Cunningham, Raymond Gillespie, Patrick Kelly, Allan Macinnes, Breandan O Buachalla, and Tadhg O hAnnrachain, 1997.
- A Fall Conference directed by Michael Mendle, 1997.
- A Late-Spring Seminar directed by S. J. Connolly with visiting lecturers R.R. Eccleshall, David Hayton, James Kelly, Patrick Kelly, and Ian Montgomery, 1998.
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by Patricia Brückmann with visiting faculty Eamon Duffy, John Henry, Caroline Hibbard, Anthony Milton, Tadhg O hAnnrachain, and Steven Zwicker, 1998.
- A Spring Symposium with speakers J.G.A. Pocock, Sharon Achinstein, Glenn Burgess, Conal Condren, Lori Anne Ferrell, Sarah Hanley, Donald Kelly, Noel Malcolm, W. Brown Patterson, R. Malcolm Smuts, Orest Ranum, and Richard Tuck, 2000.
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by R. Malcolm Smuts with visiting faculty Lawrence M. Bryant, Pauline Croft, Lori Anne Ferrell, Richard C. McCoy, and Linda Levy Peck, 2000.
- A Late-Spring Semester Seminar directed by David Armitage, 2002.
- A Fall Symposium with speakers J.G.A. Pocock, Jonathan Israel, Margaret Jacob, John Marshall, Silvia Berti, Franz Bosbach, Justin Champion, Anne Goldgar, Knud Haakonssen, Allan Macinnes, James Moore, Melvin Richter, Patrick Riley, and John Robertson, 2004.
- A Spring Conference with speakers Nicholas Canny, Richard E. Flathman, Andrew Hadfield, Jean E. Howard, Duncan Ivison, Colin Kidd, Kirstie McClure, John Morrill, Karen O'Brien, Joanne Wright, and Steven Zwicker, with respondent Quentin Skinner, 2005.
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by John Marshall, 2005.
- A Late-Spring Seminar directed by Conal Condren with visiting speakers Jean Howard, Peter Lake, and J.G.A. Pocock, 2007.
- A Spring Symposium with speakers Richard Bourke, Marianne Elliott, Christine Fauré, Lynn Hunt, Sankar Muthu, Fania Oz-Salzberger, Fred Rosen, Emma Rothschild, James Schmidt, Richard B. Sher, and Robert Travers, 2008.
Barbara Bradfield Taft Memorial Lecture.
- Lois G. Schwoerer (The George Washington University)
- "Guns and Women in Early Modern England"
2 December 2008
Barbara Bradfield Taft Memorial Lecture.
- Derek Hirst (Washington University in St. Louis)
- "William Walwyn's 'Darling': The Happy Life of an Aging Former Radical."
- 19 November 2009
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by Robert Travers, 2009.
- A Spring 2011 Symposium with Speakers Annabel Brett, Euan K. Cameron, Bradin Cormack, Alan Cromartie, Brendan Kane, Krista Kesselring, Chris Kyle, Natalie Mears, Eric Nelson, Aysha Pollnitz, Ethan Shagan, Kevin Sharpe, W. James Simpson, R. Malcolm Smuts, and David Womersley.
- A Late Spring Seminar directed by Eric Nelson, 2012.
- A Spring Semester Seminar directed by Paul Halliday, 2013.
- A Fall 2013 Symposium with Speakers Julia Rudolph, Thomas Cogswell, Noah Millstone, Gordon J. Schochet, Richard Serjeantson, Sarah Mortimer, Nigel Smith, Mary Morrissey, David Como, Christopher Brooks, Alan Orr, Barbara Shapiro, Lois G. Schwoerer, Ann Hughes, Cynthia C. Herrup, David Armitage, Philip J. Stern, Andrew Fitzmaurice, and Carla Gardina Pestana, Saturday and Sunday, 20 and 21 September 2013.
- A Spring Semester Seminar directed by Cathy Curtis, 2016.
- A December 2016 Symposium with Speakers Michael Braddick (University of Sheffield), Richard Tuck (Harvard University), Sharon Achinstein (Johns Hopkins University), Jeffrey Collins (Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario), David Cressy (The Ohio State University, emeritus), Cesare Cuttica (Université Paris 8), Martin Dzelzainis (University of Leicester), Rachel Hammersley (Newcastle University), Helmer Helmers (Universiteit van Amsterdam), Ariel Hessayon (Goldsmiths, University of London), Ann Hughes (Keele University), Laura Lunger Knoppers (University of Notre Dame), Karen Ordahl Kupperman (New York University), Gaby Mahlberg (Berlin), Ted McCormick (Concordia University, Montreal), Nicholas McDowell (University of Exeter), David Norbrook (Merton College, Oxford), Carla Pestana (UCLA), and Joad Raymond (Queen Mary University of London).
- A Fall Semester Seminar directed by Sharon Achinstein, 2017.
The Corporation in Early Modern Political Thought
- A Spring Semester Seminar directed by Philip Stern, 2018.
Political Personhood in the Early Modern British World before 1800
- A Fall Symposium directed by Sharon Achinstein, David Armitage, Julia Rudolph, and Nigel Smith, 2019.