The Folger encourages visitors to take informal pictures of the building and grounds, and to share them on social media. Occasionally, however, loan items in exhibitions cannot be photographed because of restrictions by the lender. Tripods and flash photography are not permitted within the building.
In the Theatre
Most Folger Theatre performances do not permit photography (or recording of any kind).
In the Reading Room
Researchers wishing to take pictures of collection material should consult the Camera use by researchers in the Reading Room policy. Classroom use is encouraged, as is use for personal study, scholarship, research and other noncommercial activities. Tripods and flash photography are not permitted.
In the Vault
When filming or taking photographs in the vault, the following security and privacy guidelines apply:
- Minimal crew and equipment
- Aisle numbers, floor plans, and other information that would allow specific locations to be identified must not be readable
- Call slips, "hold for" notes, and other information that would allow specific people to be identified must not be readable
- Images of identifiable people must not be shared without their express consent
- At least one person authorized to lead tours (not just someone authorized for unaccompanied vault access) must be present
- Visitors are welcome to pose next to vault material and point to it enthusiastically, but collection items may only be handled by Folger staff