ACLS Humanities E-Book collection
The Folger has an annual subscription to the American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) Humanities E-Book collection, which makes over 5,000 scholarly titles in the humanities available to onsite researchers. You can search and browse the collection (including full-text searching) through the ACLS Humanities E-Book (HEB) interface by connecting to the Folger's wifi network or using an onsite Folger computer. Records for all books, with persistent links to the online versions, can also be found in Hamnet.
As of August 2018, fields covered include: "African History, American History, Animal Studies, Archaeology, Art and Architectural History, Asian History, Australasian/Oceanian History, Biblical Studies, Bibliographic Studies, Byzantine History, Canadian History, Caribbean History, Central European History, Comparative/World, Eastern European/Russian History, Economic History, Environmental Studies, European History, Film and Media Studies, Folklore, Hip Hop Studies, Islamic Studies, Jewish Studies, Latin American History, Law, LGBT/Queer Studies, Linguistics, Literature, Literary Criticism, Medicine, Methods/Theory, Middle Eastern History, Musicology, Native Peoples of the Americas, Performance Studies (theater, music, dance), Philosophy, Political Science, Religion, Science/Technology, Sociology and Women’s Studies."
In August 2018, Folger staff uploaded a full set of cumulative MARC records (overlaying records for titles already in Hamnet so that the persistent URLs would persist) and deleted MARC records for titles removed from the collection. Because the MARC records are provided as a single file, removing records for titles that are outside the Folger's collection development policy would be too time consuming. Instead, an advisory statement is added to each record at the time of upload.
Folger edits to MARC records
The following changes need to be made to the vendor-provided MARC records to bring them into alignment with the rest of Hamnet:
- change 008/23 (form of item) from "s - electronic" to the more specific "o - online"
- delete 006 (it's too generic to be useful)
- add RDA 33X fields:
- 336__ $a text $b txt $2 rdacontent
- 337__ $a computer $b c $2 rdamedia
- 338__ $a online resource $b cr $2 rdacarrier
- Add 500 HBCN "This record was provided by a vendor. It may contain incorrect or incomplete information. $5 DFo"
- replace 856$z "Electronic access restricted; authentication may be required:" with "ACLS digital reproduction (Access limited by licensing agreements)"
- Use "For access, follow the Linked Resources hyperlink" as the call number
- Information quoted from the ACLS website at https://www.humanitiesebook.org/the-collection/overview/ (accessed 2018-08-09)