TIND batch upload from MARC
Relatively small batches MARC records (no more than 1,000 records) can be bulk uploaded directly to the catalog using the Batch Uploader at https://catalog.folger.edu/batchuploader/. Use TIND customer support for larger batches. Files use UTF8 character encoding and must be in TIND's version of MARC XML.
Save copies after each step so you can back-track if something goes wrong.
Records can also be uploaded from .csv files, but for now this article only covers MARC
Initial file preparation
Examine the MARC file for non-Folger practice or unusual fields (e.g., by using MarcReport to produce a list of all tags, indicators, and subfields in use). Use a utility such as MarcEdit to add, edit, and delete information as needed.
Common changes include:
- Add Folger-specific Advisory statements
- Add Folger-specific MARC 852 Location information
- Add Folger-specific MARC 856 Electronic Location and Access information
- Add Folger/TIND-specific 980 and 983 fields
Other changes might include:
- Add 1XX/7XX $e Relator term based on content of $4 Relator code (Women Writers Online records: opted not to change before load: too time-consuming)
See MARC records from vendors for descriptions of changes needed for each record set. In most cases, changes that can be done by machine have been bundled into a MarcEdit task specific to that record set.
- After edits are finished, use MarcValidator to make sure you didn't break anything. Fix as needed.
- Save file with PostMarcEdit in filename
- If the .mrk file is large, and you'll be using the Batch Uploader, compile it as .mrc and split it into smaller batches before proceding.
- Convert the file to MARC21XML and save with MRKtoXML or MRCtoXML in filename
- Open the .xml file in Notepad++ and run the appropriate MacroExpress batch changes to convert to TIND's flavor of MARC XML (see also TIND MARCXML):
- Change <marc:leader> and <marc:leader> to <marc:controlfield tag="000"> and </marc:controlfield>
- Replace all blank spaces in 000, 006, 007, and 008 fields with backslash character
- Delete MARC 005 from each record if editing existing records (because replacement record cannot have the same date stamp as the original)
- Save file with XMLtoTINDXML in filename
- Test on a small batch of records!
- Go to Administration > Batch Uploader and follow the instructions
- See How to batch upload metadata for how it's supposed to work and Caveats, common errors and example metadata files for things that are likely to go wrong.
- Hit the "Upload" button and hope for the best. Be sure to check log files for problems.
Remember that re-indexing is automatic, but takes a bit of time: if you search for a keyword from the newly uploaded files, you're not going to get them all at first.
Remember that Collection building/re-building can take a long time (e.g., overnight)